Honored Contributor

Re: Jennifer Lopez posts a pic in a white string bikini....

@Nbo wrote:

@Sooner All of us women come in all shapes and sizes and we are all beautiful. But for a long time woman were being treated like life was over once they had children. We are mothers,wives,lovers. I like that I am 53 and look fabulous. I like that I can still turn heads. There is nothing wrong in a woman being proud of her body. The female body is beautiful. 

@Nbo But all the many women who don't still turn heads with their bodies are just as valuable and beautiful, but that's not what society, and women as much as men, place so much value on.  

And that's what is a shame. Other assets are so often overlooked and under valued, and photos like this just encourage that view of women. 

Esteemed Contributor

It's not as if she works in an office or a factory where she can relax a little about perfecting her body and her face. Not ready to retire yet, she's got to put in all the work doing her very best to hang on to and continue to make $$$ from what has been her meal ticket all her life.

Super Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Nbo wrote:

@Sooner All of us women come in all shapes and sizes and we are all beautiful. But for a long time woman were being treated like life was over once they had children. We are mothers,wives,lovers. I like that I am 53 and look fabulous. I like that I can still turn heads. There is nothing wrong in a woman being proud of her body. The female body is beautiful. 

@Nbo But all the many women who don't still turn heads with their bodies are just as valuable and beautiful, but that's not what society, and women as much as men, place so much value on.  

And that's what is a shame. Other assets are so often overlooked and under valued, and photos like this just encourage that view of women. 

@Sooner I understand the point your are making. To me all woman are beautiful. Every woman is valuable. But for a very long time woman were also told that once you get married and have kids life is over for you. Your suppose to dress a certain way. 

I told my daughter that she was beautiful and gorgeous everyday since she was born. I wanted her to feel that way everyday of her life so that she would have confidence. I also told her that she was very smart and could do whatever she wanted.  When you feel beautiful and intelligent those around you feel that way about you too. 

I remember being a teenager and looking at women over 40 and saying to myself I don't want to look that way. I don't want to dress like an old lady. Women now look younger then they did before. And not all of them are getting surgery. 

Women here criticize other women on their looks instead of celebrating everything about them. JLo is an intelligent woman. She is not just a performer and she has a right to do whatever she wants. If she wants to cover herself from head to toe or be in a bikini in her own home and take a picture of herself,she can. She probably had been sunbathing in her pool and decided I look great let me take a picture, but everyone goes into she shouldn't do that. What will her kids think? She is famous,it is her job to keep relevant.

If she was a famous lawyer I am sure she wouldn't be taking a selfie of herself in a bikini. She probably wouldn't be taking a selfie.

As women we need to celebrate all women. Not criticize them.

Honored Contributor

@Nbo 

Beautiful sentiment!🌼💛

Super Contributor

@sidsmom  Thanks!

Women should support all women not tear them down.

Honored Contributor

@Nbo wrote:

@sidsmom  Thanks!

Women should support all women not tear them down.

@Nbo 

This always makes me smile.

B00B01E3-100E-4C4A-AAA8-4C0637874DD2.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Nbo wrote:

She looks great. I am happy that she is showing that at 50 a woman is still stunning and is not over the hill.  

@Nbo But I am sorry that it sends the message that women should look like this at 50, and that is what makes them valuable and special at 50. And that's it's the look and the body that women are all about.

I highly disagree with this.  If she was overweight and had cellulite  and a big belly, wearing a swimdress would you be more happy?  Would you feel like she was sending a message that that is the way a 50 year old should look?

Super Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Nbo wrote:

She looks great. I am happy that she is showing that at 50 a woman is still stunning and is not over the hill.  

@Nbo But I am sorry that it sends the message that women should look like this at 50, and that is what makes them valuable and special at 50. And that's it's the look and the body that women are all about.

I highly disagree with this.  If she was overweight and had cellulite  and a big belly, wearing a swimdress would you be more happy?  Would you feel like she was sending a message that that is the way a 50 year old should look?

@Lipstickdiva If she was overweight and she feels beautiful then she can do whatever she wants. She can take a selfie. I don't care if you are overweight and want to wear a bikini. As long as you feel comfortable that is what matters. We have to stop telling women how to dress. We don't decide what a person puts in their closet. Unless you are paying for it then it doesn't matter. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@phoenixbrd wrote:

dancing does a body good......

She does have that Kim K hip thing going on.

@phoenixbrd 

JLo had a great caboose long before Kim K came along and thought she could go one better. "JLo butt" was the one to covet.

Unfortunately for Kim K, she took it to cartoonish proportions.

JLo looks great and the catty criticisms just make me shake my head.  

And P.S.  YES, dancing does a body good.  So does consistent  weight training and diet discipline (she follows a Meditteranean style diet). She may have had some plastic surgery, I don't know, but she didn't get that body from a surgeon.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@phoenixbrd wrote:

dancing does a body good......

She does have that Kim K hip thing going on.

@phoenixbrd 

JLo had a great caboose long before Kim K came along and thought she could go one better. "JLo butt" was the one to covet.

Unfortunately for Kim K, she took it to cartoonish proportions.

JLo looks great and the catty criticisms just make me shake my head.  

And P.S.  YES, dancing does a body good.  So does consistent  weight training and diet discipline (she follows a Meditteranean style diet). She may have had some plastic surgery, I don't know, but she didn't get that body from a surgeon.

@QueenDanceALot Nor from doing housework, having a 9 to 5 (or 7:30 to 5 job), hauling kids everywhere, taking care of her parents, never having time and money for a gym, doing laundry, running errands, paying bills, doing the taxes, helping with homework, getting the car worked on, trying to make ends meet, or trying to come up with something for dinner--healthy or not, just having food on the table.