Honored Contributor

Jenna Lyons Creative Force At J Crew Leaves

She's been at the helm of J.Crew's creative direction for years -- and she helped turn the brand into the cultural phenomenon it is today.

It was announced Monday that longtime President and Executive Creative Director Jenna Lyons is leaving J.Crew. The brand's CEO, Mickey Drexler, toldBusiness of Fashion in an interview about the departure "Jenna and I got together and we both agreed it was time for a change," but cites the mutual respect the two share, and that it's "been a great run."

And quite a run it's been -- 26 years, to be exact. Lyons landed her first job at J.Crew in 1990, but worked her way up and was promoted to VP of Women's Design when Mickey Drexler became CEO in 2003. They developed a close relationship, and Drexler promoted her to President in 2010.

Love some things from J Crew.

Do you like or shop J Crew?

Respected Contributor

Re: Jenna Lyons Creative Force At J Crew Leaves

The one near me hasn't sold anything that interested me in at least a few years. They lost direction. Maybe it was time for a change. 

Honored Contributor

not surprising.

Although this spring there's been a couple of things I actually like there,

25 years is a long time at that job. 

Esteemed Contributor

I've never shopped at J. Crew but I do realize that many people like the preppy clean lines of their clothes. Many clothing manufacturers and retailers are doing the musical chair dance and getting rid of their management and bring on new people as sales and stock prices falter. Whether it makes a difference in the long run for any of these companies, who knows?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I used to love shopping at J. Crew.  But it has been years since I purchased anything there either online or in-store.  

I mostly remember their beautiful coats - the fabrics were fantastic - I still wear a black wool short coat (no collar) - It is 8 years old and looks like new.

For me, the quality of J. Crew's designs and fabrics is not what it used to be.

Respected Contributor

I have never purchased, but do like their clothes.                                                                                                                                       

Honored Contributor

@ECBG

Interesting- I have gotten more J. Crew items this (school) year than any other. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lolakimono wrote:

@ECBG

Interesting- I have gotten more J. Crew items this (school) year than any other. 

@lolakimono,I've seen some pretty things last spring although I haven't been in this year.  It seems as though I'm going to be a Talbot's stylist.