Honored Contributor

Fashion statements are in the eye of the beholder and while I have worn and still wear (occasionally) 'distressed' jeans, I do NOT see them as a fashion statement. Moreover, this 'look' is really not as current as some of the fashionista wannabes would have us all believe... And incidentally, I don't think this has a thing in the world to do with who is a senior citizen and who isn't.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Frequent Contributor

Amy Stran had them on last night and it was a really bad look.

Honored Contributor

I will say that when kicking off a new evening of prime time programming my assessment is the host in question might have opted for a slightly more polished look and still appeared, "young, hip, thin, trendy, cute and like a breath of fresh air"...

{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor
I think Amy and Shawn are two people who look great in the distressed jeans with holes...it is a trend and been around for some time.....would rather see hokey jeans than the Logo or layered look which looks sloppy, IMO...Both ladies are petite, young and have the personality and body type to wear them...I like the look but can't wear it
Esteemed Contributor

Back in my hippie days, jeans with holes were part of the culture (or counter culture). Jeans were practically lived in, and the more faded and worn they were, the better. It wasn't a so much a fashion statement as it was rejection of the perceived "uptight" world at large. I had a much cherished pair of faded and hole-y overalls that I wore a red union suit under. Flannel shirts were de rigueur. I always wore my Levis long and let the bottom of the legs drag and fray. Women's Levis hadn't come into existence yet, so we shopped the mens stores.

When I see jeans produced with holes, it strikes me simply as a design conceit. Always looking for something "different", I guess, in the world of fashion. Mainstream, now.

Cogito ergo sum
Super Contributor

I wear them. I wear all kinds of crazy styles. If you like it wear it!

Honored Contributor

I've never cared for the look. But lots of people like it. Doesn't bother me.

Honored Contributor

This look was alive and well back in the 70's. We used to cut our jeans and soak them in bleach in the bathtub to make them look distressed and unique.

I don't think the look is modern and edgy. It's an old vintage look that came around again.

I would not wear this look again today, but it doesn't bother me when other people do.

Honored Contributor
On 3/3/2015 Lanikins said:
On 3/3/2015 ROMARY 1 said:

I'm going to buy a few patches and iron/scatter them around on older jeans. Just a thought! Might be cute! A trend?

Gwen took it to the extreme!

Gwen Stefani Dsquared2 Patch Boyfriend Jeans e1418607866320 Gwen Stefani in DSquared2 Patched Boyfriend Jeans

Oh, my........But 'kind of cute'. Maybe with a solid top. Thanks for the photo!!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor
On 3/3/2015 stray770 said: I think Amy and Shawn are two people who look great in the distressed jeans with holes...it is a trend and been around for some time.....would rather see hokey jeans than the Logo or layered look which looks sloppy, IMO...Both ladies are petite, young and have the personality and body type to wear them...I like the look but can't wear it

Hi stray. Not sure I agree with your statement about Amy and Shawn looking great in the distressed jeans. Hard to explain but I will try. You can look great in a certain color or look great in a well-fitted dress or great fitting jeans. But not sure how ripped jeans can make one look great. Almost like saying someone looks great in a shirt with stains on it. I honestly don't think that a host should wear them on air as they look very unprofessional. Wear them on your time off.