Super Contributor

Jeans w/ Giant Holes that Show Entire Kneecap & Thigh

[ Edited ]

I'm definitely one who enjoys edgier fashion and self-expression.  However, I don't understand clothing that's so distressed that a pair of jeans has a hole that shows the entire kneecap and most of the thigh.  Why not just wear shorts?  Why pay good money for a garment where someone has torn away half of the fabric?

I'm speaking specifically of the vendor representative who was selling the Ahdorned handbags. I know her jeans probably cost her a pretty penny, but she looked like a homeless person or  a desperate 50+ female trying to recapture her youth.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Jeans w/ Giant Holes that Show Entire Kneecap & Thigh

you just described my teenaged granddaughters' jeans....and i never pass up an opportunity to tell them how ridiculous they look.....but they just tell me i'm old...and yes...i am....

Trusted Contributor

@Indra I totally agree.  It boggles my mind to think of all the money I threw away when I was young and my girls were young because back then you threw away jeans that look like the one you buy today for hundreds of dollars.  I could be rich if I had kept them and sold them in todays fashion world.

Honored Contributor

I wear jeans like to do yard work and painting.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I wear jeans like to do yard work and painting.

@Carmie I don't even do that.  I either patch the knees or throw them out.  I spend way too much time on knees in the yard, I'd like to keep them covered.

Honored Contributor

If you end up putting your foot through the hole when you put the jeans on, the hole is too big.

Respected Contributor

I must admit I don't get this trend with all the holes either.  A little distressing but not great big holes.  I am behind the times on this trend!

Esteemed Contributor

I really dislike those jeans but one of my daughters wears them all the time. She got called out, however, in a very ironic way.  My mother, her grandmother, was rushed to the hospital after breaking her shoulder. My daughter, being closest to her at the time, left her house and drove ASAP to the hospital, in the hope of catching up with Grandma before she went into surgery. She made it but my mother took one look at her and said, "Why are you wearing those ridiculous, ripped pants?" All my daughter could say was, " I knew you'd hate them but I wanted to get here as quickly as possible, so I didn't have time to change." When I heard the story afterwards, all I could do was laugh.

Esteemed Contributor

I own one pair just for fun.  However I seem to have ripped them a bit more than I like to wear.  So I am rather stuck deciding where not to wear them.  

Honored Contributor

Why do you think you have to "understand" it?  It's a look you either like or don't.  That's all.