Occasional Contributor
Hi. Suggestions please. Guess I have larger calves because I have to go up one size for skinny jeans. Then they are too big in waist and hips. I am 5' 2" about 105 and in my late 50's Any suggestions for a nice brand to wear to the office? I don't want to feel like I am in a sausage casing or break the bank buying a pair of jeans. Thank you ladies! Smiley Happy
Super Contributor

Re: Jeans for athletic calves

I seem to have the same promblem.  I have 17inch calves. Ihave to go to straight leg jeans.  If I buy those skinny jeans , I can actually see a pluse in my calf if I wear those lyrca skinny leg jeans.  Ihave no hips or butt.  Its like my butt cheeks slid down and landed on my calves.  Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

I don't know how casual you're allowed to be at work but something like this might work for you, from Old Navy. I have a few of them, they're very soft and comfortable.

jeans.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

You might want to check Susan After 60 blog.  She is your age and always wears jeans/slacks and her "problem area" is her calves (she includes brand/source for what she wears).

Honored Contributor

I don't have to worry about an office, but when I did I couldn't wear jeans anyways.  But, no skinny leg pants for me either.  I can wear straight leg pants, but I still might have to peel them off my calves.  Luckily, with jeans they don't look as tight as with other fabrics. My calves aren't huge, but are 17".  Just today I nixed Gloria Vanderbilt jeans.  Too tight calves even on the size 8 when I only need a size 6 for my butt.  

Have the same issue with boots, just getting a pair on, forget wearing my pants leg stuffed down in them.  I was able to solve that problem for a pair of black boots I have by using a triangular device that fits in the zipper area called Boot Bands.  They're not cheap and I don't know that you could match any other color, but black is pretty easy.  I can even wear leggings in my boots with those on them.

Honored Contributor

I'm not an athlete so I'll be honest and say that I have full calves.  Big calves would be even more honest.  I actually do not  have problem if my jeans have a high percentage of stretch; I'm fine with 4% of higher.  Less than that and I go up a size and then I take them to the tailor at my dry cleaner's and have the waist taken in.  To be honest, I haven't done that in several years because jeans all so stretchy now.  It's like they are made to fit fuller calves.  Ironic because my sister who has very thin legs, wears mostly leggings now because skinnies with stretch are often too loose on her legs.    

Honored Contributor

@SadieRae wrote:
Hi. Suggestions please. Guess I have larger calves because I have to go up one size for skinny jeans. Then they are too big in waist and hips. I am 5' 2" about 105 and in my late 50's Any suggestions for a nice brand to wear to the office? I don't want to feel like I am in a sausage casing or break the bank buying a pair of jeans. Thank you ladies! Smiley Happy

@SadieRae, weight doesn't really have anything to do with clothing sizes.  I'm 5'2" and wear a size 6/8, but I don't weigh anywhere near 105.  I haven't weighed anything below 110 since High School and I never wore xtra small clothing even then. I think a Junior's size 7 was what I wore in college and I never weighed myself back then, but I wasn't any larger than I was in High School then.  I didn't buy clothes in High School because my mother made them.  I didn't start having trouble with things fitting in the calves though until I was well into my 40's, but skinny jeans are a relatively new concept.  I started noticing it with boots way before the skinny jean trend, although I have never been able to wear pants stuffed in my boots, ever.  

Occasional Contributor

I have the same problem with my calves.  I wear a size 10 pant, but skinny jeans are very tight on my calves.  If I go up in size, they are too big in the waist and hips.  I would love for a designer to design pants and boots for larger calves.  Even the wide calf boots are sometimes too tight, it can be very frustrating.

Honored Contributor

@aoldgirl wrote:

I seem to have the same promblem.  I have 17inch calves. Ihave to go to straight leg jeans.  If I buy those skinny jeans , I can actually see a pluse in my calf if I wear those lyrca skinny leg jeans.  Ihave no hips or butt.  Its like my butt cheeks slid down and landed on my calves.  Woman LOL

@aoldgirl 

LOL!! while I can't relate to the calves I can surely relate to the disappearing butt cheeks although mine are now hovering around my knees!

I do find that jeans with back pocket flaps create the illusion of some curvature where there no longer is any...

Super Contributor

I love this jeans. I have big calves and these jeans fit great. I buy the petite. The black ones are definitely smaller fitting than the denim and they do stretch. For me they skim but don’t grab my fat calves.

https://www.qvc.com/Denim-%26-Co-Petite-Slim-Leg-Classic-Waist-5-Pkt-Stretch-Pants.product.A94106.ht...