Honored Contributor

Re: Jeans - fit like a glove or loose and comfy???

Even when I was young I liked loose and not skin tight jeans.  Also women wearing the tight jeans some were very prone to V infection.  I saw a lot of that when I worked in medicine.  Now at my old age I still like the loose and baggy jeans.  I love the boyfriend fit but darn all those are ankle length.  I would love to find the boyfriend fit in long jeans.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

wrote:

I'm wondering what you feel about jeans --- the fit I mean!

Having worn jeans for as many years as I can rememer --- and that's a lot of years ---- I am starting to feel like my attitude toward them, as with many things as I'm aging, is changing.  Don't know exactly how I feel about them now.  I am in flux, I guess you might say!

While I still love the versatility and durability of them, and the fact that you can wear them with practically everything and can dress them up or down, I'm just not sure that jeans are the best thing for me any more.  But if not jeans, then what?    

I am still trim for my age and I think I look as good as an almost 66 year old woman can in jeans, although, of course, my body is not what it used to be and cannot compare with women much younger.  I mean the stomach is not as great, the hips maybe a bit wider and the behind --- well, let's not go there!!!  Woman Sad

I wore a pair of skinny jeans the other day.  And mind you, the fit was fine.  Not overly tight but fairly snug.  By the end of the day, my legs were bothering me as they just felt like sausages in tight casings!  Ughhh.  Not a good feeling.

I still want to look good and pulled together and feel comfortable in the process, but do I need to give up jeans to accomplish this?  I hope not.  I do feel jeans are such a good wardrobe staple.

I'm wondering also --- do you always wear jeans that perfectly fit or are very snug, or do you ever go up in size such that they are much looser on you?  Would this look bad --- sloppy?  Make you look much heavier?

Just another one of those things I am pondering about since aging, and not knowing how I should adjust?

Sorry this is rather long, but was struggling to express what I was feeling! 

I do wear leggings -- primarily black --- at times but don't like wearing them all the time for casual wear. 

Thanks for any and all comments!

@AngelPuppy1  Hi. Firstly, since I don’t wear leggings, I wear jeans every single day....dress pants if business mtg., religious services or funerals only. Therefore, I have at least 20 pr. I’ve collected over the years. 

My favorites are NYDJ...a lot of stretch and very comfy. I have several pr. in different washes, white, black and olive of Alina style which is straight leg convertible (means you turn up hem once and they’re capris, ankle length when down). I have lightweight for summer & heavier for winter. I also have boyfriend/girlfriend jeans for lazy, running errands days and my favorites are my torn up distressed jeans....several pr. (summer weight & heavier) to wear around the house and on occasion, I wear them out. 

We live in a very casual city surrounded by universities and even on a Sat. nite out, black jeans w/ a nice sweater is overdressed!  

Since I’m petite and closing in on 70, I wear my looser jeans with fitted tops so they don’t overwhelm me. Tighter jeans are worn w/ a looser sweater, tailored tucked in blouse w/ blazer or tee & casual jacket. 

I think the key to wearing jeans “at a certain age” is to not throw them on w/ a top & go, but rather make the effort to look more polished even at the grocery store. Add a scarf, colorful necklace, arm full of bangles, a lightweight jacket.

I follow the rule of “dressing in 3s”.....Just by adding 3 accessory items, scarf, bracelet, jacket, for example, you’ve changed shlumpy into polished.

Honored Contributor

I won't wear jeans that fit like a glove or loose.  I like them closer to the fit like a glove, but with a little room.  I remember the days in high school laying on the bed trying to get the zipper up to fit in my calvins 😨.  Don't want to repeat that 😀.

Honored Contributor

I believe there comes a time in every woman's life when skin tight anything is just no longer appropriate. We do not have the body post menopause that we had before. I don't care how thin you are, you have lived with 50+ years of gravity and it takes it's toll on EVERYONE.

I don't think jeans have to be skin tight to be attractive. As a matter of fact, I believe that clothing is not meant to be worn sausage skin tight on anyone. It is uncomfortable. I buy jeans to properly fit, not skin tight , not loose and baggy but to actually fit me.There is a huge area between skin tight & loose & baggy. I personally prefer straight leg as I am big around the middle and slim legs emphasize this.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Even when I was young I liked loose and not skin tight jeans.  Also women wearing the tight jeans some were very prone to V infection.  I saw a lot of that when I worked in medicine.  Now at my old age I still like the loose and baggy jeans.  I love the boyfriend fit but darn all those are ankle length.  I would love to find the boyfriend fit in long jeans.

@Imaoldhippie  My best friend, 5’10”, purchases men’s jeans in smaller waist and length she likes. They’re naturally a looser fit. Never would guess they’re not not women’s jeans. They don’t call ‘em boyfriend jeans for nothing. That’s how the style started.

Honored Contributor

I like a close fit  but not skin tight. But you should wear them the way you like, and not worry about other people

Honored Contributor

I vote for loose!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

Why narrow this to an 'either/or' choice?
There are times and places for both in my life.
Esteemed Contributor

@AngelPuppy1

Jeans are a staple for me, but I hear ya about the fit.  My biggest problems are inseam and waist...waistline = large, thighs/legs = skinny!  But, it's so hard to find the fit that's in between big/baggy/saggy/droopy butt and tight/uncomfortable/sausage casing legs.

For a while, all I could wear were DG2's, until she started with the stretchy fabric and tighter leg which I did not like.   

I wasn't a fan of jeggings even though my "uniform" look is long over skinny until @SouthFlorida321 recommended G by Giuliana's skinny (404-636).  I was really surprised at how much I liked them...bought 6 pairs in different colors (and different prices).  I wear them with longer tops/toppers and boots in winter and longer tops and sandals in summer.   

I also found out that they're perfect for loungewear at home...I even take naps in them with no discomfort.

However, my preferred fit in jeans is a true slim/straight leg.  The best ones I found so far are Marla Wynne (552-200).

I'll always wear jeans.   My 95 year old friend (my second mom...have known her since I was 2!!) still wears them...she calls them "dungarees" and wears them with "bobby socks" and white Keds!  That'll be me one day!  Smiley LOL

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

I like my jeans to fit like leggings. So jeggings are what I like to wear. I'm 5-3 and small framed, size 2-4. Wide or full leg jeans don't look good on me. Bootcut with slim thighs are okay for me but I prefer skinny ones.