Honored Contributor

Re: Jeans - fit like a glove or loose and comfy???

wrote:

I like a close fitting jean/pant. I'm 5' with full thighs and been wearing a 4...in vanity sizing. If I go up the rise is too long making the crotch too low and the caboose a bit baggy especially after wearing for an hour or so.

If the fabric is soft I can go with a looser style. Doesn't make me look sloppy. Cannot do a wide leg and have to watch even a straight leg if the denim is too stiff. Still has to fit close.

If I feel the leg is too tight I'll try another style or brand.

@Sadiesadie

I guess we all have different body issues we have to deal with!  I have had jeans that were extremely stretchy and thought -- wow, this is great -- so comfortable -- but then after a while --- the stretching was out of control and the jeans looked very unshapely and awful!  Where's the happy medium?? 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

wrote:

Actually  i go for straight leg.....more on the slim leg side but with "some" room in them...........don't care for tight or loose..

@kelsey17

Maybe I need to try and find some similar to what you are describing??  

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I don't like anything to fit skin tight.

Jeans for me are very unforgiving. I gain 5 lbs and they feel tight. So I like some room.

@Greeneyedlady21

I get you on that!  Unforgiving is a good word!  What do you wear then for casual wear and when you just want to look nice but not dressed up? 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Jeans are pretty much what I wear.  In order for them to be comfortable to me I need them to fit like a glove with a perfect fit - or I won't wear them!  I hate uncomfortable loose hanging jeans/pants (as well as the high waisted ones) and they make me  me look heavier.  Even when I was 25 pounds heavier I still couldn't stand loose pants.  I always wear a new pair for a day at home and if they stretch out I either take them in or give them away.  When I sit down or move around a lot my jeans stay put. 

@Pook

I get what you're saying.  Clothing which is too large and baggy is generally not that flattering.  Do you were jeans all the time at home and don't feel they are too heavy or restrictive?  I'm also always looking for jeans that feel lighter, which are softer and don't feel so heavy.  Don't have much luck with this, though. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I’ve also had jeans as a wardrobe staple for most of my life. At this stage in my life, Comfort is just as important as style. I don’t like them skin tight, but baggy doesn’t work either. Since I don’t baby my jeans in the laundry, I’ll go up a size if they’re 95 - 100% cotton so they’ll still be comfortable after laundering (ie, I can eat and breathe). I’m seeing more jeans that are 65% cotton and some combination of polyester and spandex. I buy these in my true size. Not only do they not shrink, they get bigger as you wear them! I have some jeggings and skinny jeans, but I don’t wear them as much as my regular jeans. I also have leggings that I wear occasionally. My favorite pair of jeans is an old pair of NYDJs that are as soft as flannel. 

@Eileen in Virginia

I have never put my jeans in the dryer for fear that they will end up a size or 2 smaller or that it will just be too uncomfortable to stretch them out again!  Can you recommend a jeans brand that you wear regularly?  I think those NYDJ jeans are a bit high for my price range.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 I like a wider leg performance type pant. I have some from Lands End that I've had for years. In black and navy. They're big on me right now so for now I'm doubling the waistband. 

Pair them with a nice top or sweater. 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 I like a wider leg performance type pant. I have some from Lands End that I've had for years. In black and navy. They're big on me right now so for now I'm doubling the waistband. 

Pair them with a nice top or sweater. 

@Greeneyedlady21

Yes, Lands End do have some very nice and very well made things!

I guess I keep thinking back to my younger days --- when I had a couple of pairs of plain old jeans --- Wranglers --- no bells or whistles --- just plain.  And these were washed over and over and over and ended up so soft and were as comfortable as a pair of flannel p.j. bottoms!  I know you can't go back -- but it's nice to think about! 

Honored Contributor

I won't wear anything that's snug or form fitting.  I've never worn leggings.   Just not my style.  

For me, there's quite a bit of space between "fit like a glove" and "loose and comfy."

I'm in the middle.  My clothes fit me with an appropriate amount of wearing ease - they are neither snug nor form fitting.   I don't wear anything that's "body conscious."  I've never worn leggings.

I don't wear a lot of jeans.  (The first pair I ever bought was when I was in my late 30s - dark indigo from Macy's.  We didn't wear jeans when I was a kid.)   I'd rather wear casual slacks - cords or chinos for everyday wear.  The majority of my pants are dressier straight leg or wide leg.  

I think it's a lifestyle thing - I'm retired, but fairly active.  I don't see a lot of women around here wearing jeans or leggings.

Respected Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

I’ve also had jeans as a wardrobe staple for most of my life. At this stage in my life, Comfort is just as important as style. I don’t like them skin tight, but baggy doesn’t work either. Since I don’t baby my jeans in the laundry, I’ll go up a size if they’re 95 - 100% cotton so they’ll still be comfortable after laundering (ie, I can eat and breathe). I’m seeing more jeans that are 65% cotton and some combination of polyester and spandex. I buy these in my true size. Not only do they not shrink, they get bigger as you wear them! I have some jeggings and skinny jeans, but I don’t wear them as much as my regular jeans. I also have leggings that I wear occasionally. My favorite pair of jeans is an old pair of NYDJs that are as soft as flannel. 

@Eileen in Virginia

I have never put my jeans in the dryer for fear that they will end up a size or 2 smaller or that it will just be too uncomfortable to stretch them out again!  Can you recommend a jeans brand that you wear regularly?  I think those NYDJ jeans are a bit high for my price range.

My jeans usually do shrink when I put them in the dryer, so I size up to allow for that. I got my NYDJs in a flash sale over 5 years ago for $30 - I’d never spend over $100 for jeans. I like Talbots  and Lands End jeans, which I either buy at an outlet or on clearance. They fit my 64 year old body the best. I’ve also bought Lee jeans at a Vanity Fair Outlet - they’re the ones that grew larger. The most I’ve ever spent for jeans is $50. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@Pook

I get what you're saying.  Clothing which is too large and baggy is generally not that flattering.  Do you were jeans all the time at home and don't feel they are too heavy or restrictive?  I'm also always looking for jeans that feel lighter, which are softer and don't feel so heavy.  Don't have much luck with this, though. 

@AngelPuppy1  I often wear jeans all day at home but not the best ones I have (have 30 or more pairs).  I also wear leggings or sweats or denim shorts in the summer.  Even my sweats need to fit perfectly at the waist and hips or I am not comfortable.  I don't mind my denim shorts that I wear at home to fit loosely though but what I wear out needs to fit perfectly.

I have found G by guillana (HSN) to be really great and comfy jeans - not too heavy and not too thin.