Respected Contributor

Re: Jeans - Are boot cut getting more popular?

I don't think bootcut is more popular. Wide leg, yes. Skinny jeans and leggings are still the most popular.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NJgirl 1205 wrote:
I think they look great unless you carry extra weight in the hip area. straight leg jeans seem to be universally flattering and I prefer these over those that come in at the knees and then flare out. Straight legs with a slight flare are ok too.

@NJgirl 1205I feel the same way.  I have no idea why everyone says a bootcut balances out larger hips.  IMO they don't.  Most bootcut jeans are pretty fitted through the hip, thigh and calves, then flare out.  I am a pear shape with larger calves and I don't like jeans that hug my calves.  

I think a straight leg is much more flattering. But a true straight leg.  Not a skinny jean passed off as a straight leg jean.  I've noticed that happening now too.  They are calling them a "slim straight leg."  

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

Thanks, everyone for posting and listing your favorite jean style!  It's great that we have a lot of styles to pick from.  I usually don't wear jeans at all during the summer months.  I do like the straight leg style also as some of you have mentioned.  I am also glad to see that the waist of jeans are going up again.  Those really low cut ones were okay when I was young but later on -- not so much!  

Me too and I don't care if people think they're the dreaded, outdated Mom Jeans.

Honored Contributor

IMO bootcut has never gone out of style.

JMO and not referring to anyone specific - I'd much rather get opinions, observations and reviews here from a wide variety of posters, than in any one self-appointed "expert" (and we have a few on various topics IMO). Everyone has something to add to the conversation.

Respected Contributor

I like bootcut jeans, in general, and have one pair these days that is a "barely boot cut" style. I am very petite but curvy (that is, I have a very slim,  hourglass shaped figure), and I think they are flattering on me. When I think of a bootcut shape, I think of something like this; not too tight through the thighs or calves, with just a bit of a flare out at the bottom.

502132_AK18_LF_QGM.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Boot cut jeans never went out of style.  Of course, the modern boot cut is not the same as the boot cut for 10 years ago.  Today's boot cut is slim through the leg and slightly flares at the ankle.  I always have a mix of slim straights and boot cuts in my wardrobe.  I don't wear skinny jeans.  I think skinnies still are the most popular, followed by slim straights but we are seeing more boot cuts this year.  I do wonder if women don't generally wear them are buying them now.  My friends aren't....   It's like with the wide leg or full leg pants we are seeing.  I bought a couple of pairs, I like the full leg (not palazzo) look but none of my friends like them.

Honored Contributor

I have every iteration from wide leg to skinny and there's a time and place for all of them in my wardrobe

Boot legs have never NOT been popular; there's an entire faction of women who prefer a boot to a skinny and aren't wearing skinnies just cuz the tide has changed!

@Icegoddess 

try a slim straight. they're a nice slim cut but minus the cling at the calves and ankles. I like Hudson and True Religion. Pricier labels BUT Nordstrom Rack often has good sales. That's where I get mine...

Esteemed Contributor

Tonight  Amy Stran on PM Style  said the average woman owns 7 pairs of jeans   and that she personally own 20 something  pairs.  I   have quite a pairs of jeans   in different styles . I prefer the boot cut in drk denim  .  I have narrow boot cut and some   traditional straight leg  with flowers on the leag . I don't care for the tight slim leg  jeans  . I just Love Love my boot cut  . Guess, I'm still in love with jeans that reminds me of my bell bottom blue jeans when I was a teenager .

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@skatting44 wrote:

Tonight  Amy Stran on PM Style  said the average woman owns 7 pairs of jeans   and that she personally own 20 something  pairs.  I   have quite a pairs of jeans   in different styles . I prefer the boot cut in drk denim  .  I have narrow boot cut and some   traditional straight leg  with flowers on the leag . I don't care for the tight slim leg  jeans  . I just Love Love my boot cut  . Guess, I'm still in love with jeans that reminds me of my bell bottom blue jeans when I was a teenager .

@skatting44 I have tons of boot cut, several flare and a few skinny's for when I wear my tall boots in fall/winter. If the avg woman has 7 prs of jeans than I am wwwaaayyy beyond the avg woman. Way beyond Amy Strans stash too. Lol! Probably intervention worthy at this point. 🙈🤷🏻‍♀️