Esteemed Contributor

Re: Jeans @ $250-$300?. vs $ 49. What is the difference?

@Flatbush Forgot to add that pull on jeans are NEVER worth $250-$300.  They are stretch and fit is not that hard, fabrication not as expensive.

Esteemed Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

@songbird Mine have lasted for years,also and are not American made. The thing is how they are laundered,not where they are made.

@Group 5 minus 1 

@songbird also referenced material.  The material used has a lot to do with how clothing wears.  If the material is not good, it does not matter how you launder it.

Esteemed Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

Different jeans have different fits, styling, and materials, so there are differences.  But higher prices do not make a better jean.

And working conditions and labor practices are also important differences.

Respected Contributor

I remember back in the 80's my father's good friend worked for a textile mill that made denim.  He said that all of the companies bought from them, they all just stuck their own label on them.  In fact, he said one of the major jean companies would always buy their cheapest denim.  

I do think there are some differences in cut and styles but nothing to justify such high prices. 

Respected Contributor

@Allthingsgirly67 wrote:
@Flatbush, just wanted to say hi from a fellow person from Flatbush too🙂

So glad to mecha.

Honored Contributor

I was just at Costco today and was pleasantly surprised that their jeans now have the waist measurement followed by the size, as in 30/10.  The inseam measurement was also given in another spot.  They didn't have what I wanted, and of course they were too long, but it's progress.  I don't mind having them hemmed, but that would cut off what flare one pair had.  The other's were straight leg and I prefer bootcut. 

Respected Contributor

@Iwantcoffee wrote:

These jeans by PAIGE are $249.00. If my budget allowed I would purchase because I like them.

Product Image: Product Title

@Iwantcoffee   I love those! Are they at Nordstrom? Do you know the style name?

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@songbird wrote:

Jeans $200.00 up are almost always American made. They have unions.   The cotton is different.  Most are made of Supima cotton. At least mine are. Also the stretch is less.  Mine have lasted for years.  They also go on sale so you would be paying less.  inflation is a factor too.  When I first started buying them, they were on average $100.00.  Since then, they climbed up to about $250.00 average.

@songbird   The prices for cotton anything is really high now. Spandex. poly, etc. is usually added to many clothinng items to bring the price down. 

My NYDJ jeans are as high as I go and I purchase at Nord. Rack or wait for a sale on their site.

NYDJ are the only I buy.  The way they fit on me is perfict. I do buy their ankle jeans as I'm short and they are just the right length .

Contributor

I buy AG jeans and a few Agolde jeans because I am extremely hard to fit. I have a rectangle shape. If the waist fits, my hips and bum are baggy and if my hips fit, the waist is tight. These brands fit me perfectly, especially the AG. Believe me when I say I have tried most brands available in all price categories. So yes, I pay more but I am lucky that I have found all but one pair on sale. I also think the denim is a better quality.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some of us (not me) believe we get what we pay for. Nope! Jeans are jeans and we are brainwashed into believing that the more we pay for a product the better quality.

Myth about fit : sometimes we may have to go up or down a size,but life is not about a dress size.

The long and winding road that leads to your door will never disappear.