Respected Contributor

Re: Jason Wo is no Louis Del Olio!

@1Professor wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

His name is Jason Wu. He went to Parsons School and trained under the designer Narciso Rodriguez. Many prominent women have worn his designs. Don't think he needs to be Louis.

@Greeneyedlady21   

I suspect the misspelling was intentional.

A micro-aggression of disrespect.

Oh my gosh.  Always looking for a reason to use the R word. Sickening.  It was a simple misspelling. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

Of course, appeal for one designer over the other is a matter of preference; although I haven't seen much difference between his designs and some of the others currently on QVC.  Including his most recent Spring designs recently posted.  

Making a comparison to Louis Dell'Olio seems reasonable to me because I think Wu replaced him; QVC hoping his name will attract younger buyers.    

Hi @Foxxee Louis stated that QVC wanted to replace him with its own brands.  I don't think Jason Wu is a QVC brand.  Since Louis announced he was leaving, we have seen QVC expand Anybody and Zuda, which are its own lines, and made Haute Hippie its own brand.  I think QVC owns Belle too, since she is not a fashion designer, and they have been expanding this line.  They also brought a line with the name of Candace Cameron Bure, which I would also guess is QVC's own line, since she is not a fashion designer.  I think this is what Louis was replaced with.

Esteemed Contributor

@1Professor wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

His name is Jason Wu. He went to Parsons School and trained under the designer Narciso Rodriguez. Many prominent women have worn his designs. Don't think he needs to be Louis.

@Greeneyedlady21   

Oh my gosh, are you serious??

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

Of course, appeal for one designer over the other is a matter of preference; although I haven't seen much difference between his designs and some of the others currently on QVC.  Including his most recent Spring designs recently posted.  

Making a comparison to Louis Dell'Olio seems reasonable to me because I think Wu replaced him; QVC hoping his name will attract younger buyers.    

Hi @Foxxee Louis stated that QVC wanted to replace him with its own brands.  I don't think Jason Wu is a QVC brand.  Since Louis announced he was leaving, we have seen QVC expand Anybody and Zuda, which are its own lines, and made Haute Hippie its own brand.  I think QVC owns Belle too, since she is not a fashion designer, and they have been expanding this line.  They also brought a line with the name of Candace Cameron Bure, which I would also guess is QVC's own line, since she is not a fashion designer.  I think this is what Louis was replaced with.

@NYCLatinaMe 

Louis said on his blog, QVC told him they had to make room for new designers, the reason he was let go. His words.  

I don't think QVC owns Jason Wu.  He is selling a cosmetics line at Target, higher end clothing at Saks, Neiman Marcus, Macy's, Nordstrom and others.  Does anyone think he will give them up to be exclusive on QVC?  Haven't heard QVC permitting any of their exclusively owned designers to sell anywhere else.  I won't say "never" though.  

IMO, Zuda, Candace Cameron Bure, Anybody, Haute Hippy, etc, aren't in the same league as Louis or even Jason.  

Isaac's and Logo's name have been purchased by Xell.  As with others, they can easily be gone if sales aren't good anymore.  Xell also owns Halston's name.  He's gone.  Designers come and go at QVC.

QVC may approach certain well known designers to see if they will design something for them, what happened with Louis Dell'Olio.  QVC didn't purchase his line. 

Jason designed a line for Target about 10 years ago.  So, he's open to offering less expensive clothing.  Most of the high end designers won't do that because it angers their customers.  They don't want to see similar lower priced, lower quality, styles on the street with the same designer name on them.

Let's put it this way, I don't want to see Ralph Lauren and Armani sold at QVC, because I know their lines would be QVC quality.  We were lucky with Louis' quality, but he continued to cut his commissions to give us the best quality he could.  

It wouldn't be smart business to buy a clothing line that QVC wouldn't be sure it sells well with their customers. I think Jason is on a contract.

Respected Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe  As well as Susan Graver, Isaac Mizrahi, Logo.

Trusted Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

Louis is one of a kind. He brought a level of class to QVC that could never be duplicated.

And never will im my opinion, bygone era that made us ladies look classy.

Esteemed Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe 

Louis said on his blog, QVC told him they had to make room for new designers, the reason he was let go. His words. 

Hi @Foxxee, to quote Mr Dell'Olio's exact words:  "It has been explained to me that due to the closing of QVC3 and QVC2 all of the existing brands would have to be scheduled into the QVC1 programming. They will also be introducing “new” brands that will have to be scheduled into the QVC1 programming. I can only assume there isn’t room to accommodate Linea. From what I understand choices were also made due to a brands volume. These are QVC owned brands that naturally would get priority ………"

Dell'Olio was not repaced with a designer, but with QVC brands that sold volume, whether they are in the same league or not.  Since 2020, Louis was only designing for QVC.  Any other sellers were resellers.  He had no other sales outlets under his name.  That is why his departure from QVC was a career ender.

As you acknowledge, Jason Wu is a more versatile designer, with several lines sold in a variety of venues.  I also think he does commission or custom work.  When I have seen him on air, he seems to enjoy selling at QVC.

Wu did not replace Dell'Olio, this s only an additional outlet for him.  Wu is not selling only at QVC.

It is a shame QVC would not make room for Dell'Olio.

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe 

"It has been explained to me that due to the closing of QVC3 and QVC2 all of the existing brands would have to be scheduled into the QVC1 programming.  They will also be introducing “new” brands that will have to be scheduled into the QVC1 programming.

Yes, I remember, Louis said that, too, and I understand what you are saying, however, "new designers" include Jason Wu, as well. 

QVC wouldn't have told Louis, "We're replacing you with Jason Wu," but that, IMO, is exactly what happened.  I'll never be able to prove it.  

I also find it odd QVC said they didn't have room for Louis because Q2 didn't have live programming, but a few months after Louis left, they restarted it.  When did they know they were going to do that? 

QVC has been targeting Millennials.  Jason is 38, most likely appealing to younger buyers.  A name in fashion design.  A Parson's graduate with notable experience behind him.  He was a big win for QVC.  

Louis also had been a big win 20 years ago.

They are both too similar besides age and style for me to think Louis wasn't replaced by Jason. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@1Professor wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21   

@1Professor 

How self-righteous.

Esteemed Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe 

"It has been explained to me that due to the closing of QVC3 and QVC2 all of the existing brands would have to be scheduled into the QVC1 programming.  They will also be introducing “new” brands that will have to be scheduled into the QVC1 programming.

Yes, I remember, Louis said that, too, and I understand what you are saying, however, "new designers" include Jason Wu, as well. 

QVC wouldn't have told Louis, "We're replacing you with Jason Wu," but that, IMO, is exactly what happened.  I'll never be able to prove it.  

I also find it odd QVC said they didn't have room for Louis because Q2 didn't have live programming, but a few months after Louis left, they restarted it.  When did they know they were going to do that? 

QVC has been targeting Millennials.  Jason is 38, most likely appealing to younger buyers.  A name in fashion design.  A Parson's graduate with notable experience behind him.  He was a big win for QVC.  

Louis also had been a big win 20 years ago.

They are both too similar besides age and style for me to think Louis wasn't replaced by Jason. 

@Foxxee please read the quote that you reposted.  Louis was replaced with QVC brands.  He does not mention designers.