Trusted Contributor

Re: Jason Wo is no Louis Del Olio!

Too bad they do not move Shawn to QVC 2. She is so hooked on material things and big named celebrities. I do not watch her anymore. She is so fake.
Esteemed Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

His name is Jason Wu. He went to Parsons School and trained under the designer Narciso Rodriguez. Many prominent women have worn his designs. Don't think he needs to be Louis.

Add a Heart from me!

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Jason Wu is no Louis Del Olio!

Jason Wu would definitely be considered a contemporary designer.  We must also remember that these newer designers (many of whom got their start working in major design houses themselves) will use different fabrics than their older counterparts.  There are new materials to play with and fashion can run the gamut. 

Reminds me of the famous wrap dress of Diane Von Fursteberg!  That dress is still relevant today because it is timeless (if you can find it).  There's a place for everyone because none of us like the same thing.  That's the beauty of it all for me!

Esteemed Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@teachergal the correct name is Jason Wu.  You are right, he is no Louis Dell'Olio.  Mr. Wu has a number of lines outside of QVC, to meet the needs of different customers.  Louis Dell'Olio has worked exclusively for QVC since 2000.

Mr. Wu's fashions range from evening gowns to sweats, while Louis Dell'Olio's fashions were tailored, even at their most casual.

I would not judge the body of work of any fashion designer based on one blouse.

Different designers, different feelings.

QVC should have had room for both.

Was he an in house brand @NYCLatinaMe ?

Honored Contributor

I think you all are forgetting one very important thing: the 'designers' are ALL subject to the control of the buyers! It's clearly why many leave and I've heard a couple complain about it

Honored Contributor

@1Professor wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

His name is Jason Wu. He went to Parsons School and trained under the designer Narciso Rodriguez. Many prominent women have worn his designs. Don't think he needs to be Louis.

@Greeneyedlady21   

I suspect the misspelling was intentional.

A micro-aggression of disrespect.

Oh puleeeesssse.

Trusted Contributor

There are several designers in the tradtion of or reminiscent of Louis but I doubt if many QVC customers would purchase because of cost and/or style such as Max Mara, Lafayette 148, Marina Rinaldi, etc.  The fabrics for these lines are silks, linens, leathers, etc. that are luxirious.  Pendleton offers clothing that may appeal to Louis's customers.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Zernia Rose wrote:

There are several designers in the tradtion of or reminiscent of Louis but I doubt if many QVC customers would purchase because of cost and/or style such as Max Mara, Lafayette 148, Marina Rinaldi, etc.  The fabrics for these lines are silks, linens, leathers, etc. that are luxirious.  Pendleton offers clothing that may appeal to Louis's customers.

Lafayette 148 used to have good deals on Nieman Marcus Last Call.  I think since the store's emergence from bankruptcy they may have done away with Last Call.  I've purchased many nice items from that discounted store for NM @Zernia Rose .

Another thing is, the age of the dresser.  I'm not a spring chicken, but I refuse to look matronly.  Not doing it.  Nope, no how.  I just have no desire to dress in attire my mother would wear today.  Nothing wrong with it at all.  I don't want to dress to young either.  I try to strike a balance. 

Fashion is and will always be about how we want to represent ourselves to others as well as how we feel about ourselves the day we get dressed.

Edited to add that Nieman Marcus section for Last Call is now called "First Call."

Trusted Contributor

Gertrudecloset: NM did close LastCall and many of the Lafayette 148 items were $35-125 and they sold out immediately.  You can find some deals on their online store. Spring styles are 40% off and the online outlet has some great items $100 and less. i bought several cashmere sweaters and two dresses. Love Marina Rinaldi and they items are 50% off for their final sales.  I've found some great buys for these two lines along with the German line Basler on Amazon.

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe 

"It has been explained to me that due to the closing of QVC3 and QVC2 all of the existing brands would have to be scheduled into the QVC1 programming.  They will also be introducing “new” brands that will have to be scheduled into the QVC1 programming.

Yes, I remember, Louis said that, too, and I understand what you are saying, however, "new designers" include Jason Wu, as well. 

QVC wouldn't have told Louis, "We're replacing you with Jason Wu," but that, IMO, is exactly what happened.  I'll never be able to prove it.  

I also find it odd QVC said they didn't have room for Louis because Q2 didn't have live programming, but a few months after Louis left, they restarted it.  When did they know they were going to do that? 

QVC has been targeting Millennials.  Jason is 38, most likely appealing to younger buyers.  A name in fashion design.  A Parson's graduate with notable experience behind him.  He was a big win for QVC.  

Louis also had been a big win 20 years ago.

They are both too similar besides age and style for me to think Louis wasn't replaced by Jason. 

@Foxxee please read the quote that you reposted.  Louis was replaced with QVC brands.  He does not mention designers.

@NYCLatinaMe 

Lol.  I really don't want to make mincemeat out of this.  

It's not important to me whether it's all product brands or just fashion brands.  QVC will make room for brands they want to keep and new brands they want to offer whether Q2 was opening at the time or not.  It's that simple.