Esteemed Contributor

Jackets and Blazers and Kimonos (oh my)...

I'm learning to appreciate jackets...so perfect for inbetween weather.  It's not that I dislike them, it's just so darn hard to find a good fit, especially in length, but also getting it to fit across my chest without having to go up a size, which makes everything else too big. 

I've always loved a good blazer and wore them often when I worked...even dressed down with jeans...but they are now just too dressy for my casual lifestyle.  

Kimonos are another choice for a lighter weight topper, which I prefer to a jacket because they're more casual, but I have the same problem with kimonos as I do with cardigans.  As with cardigans, every once in a great while a kimono comes along that I can live with.

I managed to find a casual denim chore jacket similar to the 2nd pic (mine is a washed red) and an Eileen Fisher kimono for spring (I'll post them in a new closet thread).

I'm deleting these "inspirations" from my archives and thought I'd share.  My favorite jacket is the top pic.  Love the safari style and the color...I even like the scarf (but hate the biiiiig belt).  My favorite kimono is last one (2 pics)...

Lifestyle Influencer, Jamie Lewinger of More Than Turquoise, wearing large black Fendi belt

3 KEYS TO THE BEST ENTERTAINMENT LOOK 5

Pairing olive green with berry red

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

Re: Jackets and Blazers and Kimonos (oh my)...

jackets and blazers i can live without pretty much, but i LOVE that first kimono you posted. where is it from @MacDUFF ?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

I'm with you! I almost always have a jacket on. Somehow, I just love the feeling of two layers on my body. I vary from long-sleeved turtlenecks with lined jackets, to tees with unlined jackets or cardis, to tanks with button shirts worn open, to lightweight tops and vests, and all the stops in between. People who talk a lot about capsule wardrobes usually have a shirt/tank category and a jacket vest category, right? I have a 3rd category in between of things I can wear both under or over. 

Honored Contributor

I went through my blazer phase in the early/mid 90s.

Next was jackets - I have one closet that is only jackets. No idea how many I have. I still have some of the silk Mackie jackets! Most are from Chico’s and Coldwater Creek.

In recent years - last five or so - it’s hand knit / crochet sweaters/cardigan:coats/shrugs/shawls etc. I’ve “reverse engineered” some Peruvian Connection sweaters. I’m working on a Boho cardigan now - going to be fab. Another few days and it will be done!
Honored Contributor

The styles of the jackets are appealing but I am not a fan of the kimono.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi @sunshine45 ...you won't even believe this!   I went back on Jamie's site to see if I could find the kimono.  It was posted in July 2017!  I figured there wasn't a chance in heck it was still available, but I clicked on her link and surprise!  It's still available and it's $19.  4 3/4 stars, 1395 reviews.  Go to us.shein dotcom and search for Geo Print Kimono...it should be in the top row.  

Honored Contributor

thanks @MacDUFF ......have you ordered from them before?

i believe this is one of those chinese companies that dont put a phone number on their website for questions. i have ordered a few times from these places and the outcomes were generally not good. i also checked online reviews and there are MANY poor reviews.

it is only $20 of course, but not sure i am willing to take a chance.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

I have not @sunshine45.  I truly understand being cautious about ordering from unknown companies.  Anecdotal, but I had a co-worker who ordered from them about 2-3 years ago, and she didn't have a problem...then again, her item fit, so no return or cust service interaction.  HTH.

Valued Contributor

Love the kimono and the Southwestern jewelry.  I'm not surprised though because I collect turquoise jewelry and am on a kimono kick.  Thanks @MacDUFF , I enjoyed the pictures.  And it reminded me I own the Fendi belt but sadly I doubt I still fit in it.  I like that the outfits you posted are fashion forward with an edge.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the photos, @MacDUFF.   I'm a huge fan of utility/safari jackets and jean jackets in various shapes and sizes.   I don't like kimonos yet...  but they're starting to win me over.  Maybe.   To me, a jacket puts an outfit together - we can change the entire look of jeans and t-shirt by adding a jacket.

Are those paper bag slacks in photo #6 in style?  or is that a very old photo?  I used to love wearing a paper bag waistline.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt