Esteemed Contributor

JUst once I would like to hear a designer or host tell the truth

And say that a certain clothing item MIGHT NOT flatter a certain figure type. I am picking on Issac for the particulars here but he is certainly not alone in making this statement. TOnight he and Shaun were showing a garment that has a peplum bottom.  OF. Ourse we hear the standard statement "THis flatters all figure types."   NO, SORRY but if you carry excess weight in your tummy a peplum top is not for you.  ATtention is drawn to the peplum and if you have tummy pooch it looks like a shelf around your waist and adds additional volume to your middle.    COuld the designers and hosts be honest about what styles certain figure types should not be wearing.  I get angry because I know what,does and does not look,good on me but some people are very likely to fall for this sort of BS.  I would have so much more respect for a designer who would,occasionally be honest about who should not be wearing a certain style.  EVen I occasionally fall for the hype and then get disgusted when the item arrives and looks horrid on me.  ONe of my worst QVC fashion horrors was a floral print maxi dress from another famous male designer who used the "THis flatters all figure types" sales pitch. WIth my 5ft4 16-18w figure I looked like a walking shower curtain.  HOrrid, simply horrid.

Honored Contributor

Re: JUst once I would like to hear a designer or host tell the truth

You know, I think that it might help their sales if they pointed out designs that flattered certain shapes, and they might get fewer returns.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Super Contributor

I feel the same way about the designer layers stuff. I am small but busty and that just makes me look awful. I also agree with you about maxi dresses. 

At least Q is finally using some shorter models. Clothes look a lot different on models that are 5' 10". I wish I was that tall. When clothes are shown on regular height women, women can decide if the look is good on their body type. It reduces the returns. I also like the fact that they are showing garment measurements now because sizing is not consistent. 

Honored Contributor

"THis flatters all figure types."

If this statement is constantly made, you would think they would prove it by showing the item on different figure type models.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

I agree. And peplums must be designed correctly to flatter. I didn't think the peplum on the sweater tonight flattered anyone. I wish he had taken that print and put it into a traditional sweater, because I thought a few colors were beautiful. I saw the scarf in the same print, but was disappointed he did that in polyester instead of his usual rayon.

Esteemed Contributor

I actually thought a while back i heard Louis D. say that a certain type figure might not look good in a particular item he was presenting.....but i can't remember the details of 

that conversation.....sorry...

Honored Contributor

I'm 56 and I'm past the point where I need a clothing vendor to tell me what will look good on me...lol   That isn't their role.  They exist to sell stuff and to make money.  They aren't our personal stylists.  Just like KFC won't tell me that their chicken is a fast track to heart attack, a clothing vendor isn't going to tell me that skinny jeans make my thighs look bigger than they are.  Also, whether or not something flatters the body is totally subjective.  There is no way they could work such a thing into a sales pitch.....that's what those "shows" are you know, sales pitches.  It would bizarre if they actively turned customers away.  I think people tend to forget that QVC is a retailer and the "designers" are vendors. 

Esteemed Contributor

yeah I know they are not going to do as I suggested but I wish they would.  BEsides I know that when the fiasco of the maxi dress occurred I was angry that I had wasted my money ordering something that looked so awful on me and some of that anger was directed at the designer who assured me that the dress looked good on all figure types. I no longer order from that line because I can't trust what is said.  So, that certainly cost QVC future sales from me.

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
Size med to large depending on the designer. Not all florals unattractive. Greatly depends on placement fabric size of print. No one needs tell me what works on my body, I already know.