Contributor
I have only bought Joan's jewelry once. My question is about her stones in necklaces and earrings. Are they made of plastic? They were on the jewlry I bought years ago. I was looking at her 7 pair of earrings. Could they be glass? It doesn't say! Thanks for anyone that can help with an answer. Agador
Contributor
So 77 people read this post! Thank you! But no one can tell me if her stones in her jewelry, ex: flower necklace, are plastic or glass?
Regular Contributor

sorry no one has responded. The only JR jewelry I own are her wonderful watches and several enamel bracelets. Her enamel is very good quality. But I do remember her always being so proud that she used the finest Swarowski crystals in her pieces so I doubt any of them are plastic. Not sure if all of them are Swarowski but many of them definitely are. Hopefully someone with some of her statement necklaces can shed more light.

Contributor
Thank you so much Juliet. How kind of you to respond. I have metal earrings, but just unsure of what appears to be a jewel & may actually be plastic. I remember some years ago ordering something with cabashons and the were just plastic!
Honored Contributor
All of Joan's jewelry I've gotten in the past 10 years, and there hasn't been a lot, has had plastic stones. It's not nearly as nice has her early jewelry.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

agador, I have several of her pieces (earrings, pins, necklaces). I've always been happy with the quality. Sometimes the "stones" are glass or crystal (eta: most of the time, in those I've purchased) but occasionally they're acrylic. As you said, the descriptions don't always include that info. Unfortunately, the only way to know is to ask a question in the listing's Q&As or perhaps on the Facebook page (or there might be an email address), wait for reviews, or purchase the item.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Super Contributor

The stones, and the quality of the enameling, are two keys to the quality or lack thereof.

Some are glass, some are a plastic material. I've gotten plastic stones that had a paper backing that was not properly and neatly cut, and stuck out of the setting! Also, ones that had large, obvious air bubbles in them!

The crystals are hit or miss. Now and then Joan would mention Swarovski crystals when showing a pin, and maybe THAT pin had the good crystals, but many others obviously don't. If the item description doesn't say Swarovski, it isn't Swarovski. I just returned 2 pins for lack of vibrancy and reflection.

If the description is not specific, I think one can safely assume that shortcuts in quality have been made. This I say from my own purchasing experience.

That said, regarding your earrings, hopefully they are a good quality (no air bubbles) plastic, so they hang light on the ears. - Bird

Honored Contributor

I have not bought any JR products for a long while but my experience is that the older pieces were crystal - glass - but later they changed to being plastic. That was when I stopped buying -- typical QVC change to cheaper, less quality products and ever higher prices.