Esteemed Contributor
It’s hard to imagine the Q kept Joan Rivers line abd not Linea. Just my opinion but I think the Linea line is far more superior in style and quality.
Super Contributor

Re: JOAN RIVERS LINE vs LINEA

@Teddixat wrote:
It’s hard to imagine the Q kept Joan Rivers line abd not Linea. Just my opinion but I think the Linea line is far more superior in style and quality.

@Teddixat 

Louis Dell'Olio is a real designer--not a wanna-be.  ITA with you!

Esteemed Contributor

Linea: a true designer line at a much better price point than JR.

I do like David Dangle, but not a fan or the clothes or jewelry.

Respected Contributor

I agree the Linea line was better, but it was more expensive also.  I miss the old Joan Rivers jewelry.  When she first came to the Q.  It was better quality and more fashionable.  This new jewelry, since the making of fashion, is kind of cheap looking.  Even some of the bees are not as good quality.  And I have a ton of those.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Teddixat wrote:

@Teddixat @This time, I think the decision to keep one line or the other is not about quality. I think it is about sales performance and buying trends. Right now, sales of dressier womens' clothing are not very good and Linea is a line with dressier offerings. Joan's line is more casual and fits in better with the relaxed, less dressy clothing that is selling. I buy a lot of Joan and I bought a lot of Linea and I think that both lines have consistently had top quality offerings. I'm sad to see Linea go. Q might have been wise to keep a very limited amount of offerings from Linea, per season, because the life we lead now due to the pandemic could change and there still are occasions women need to wear something dressier. I wish Q would reconsider a capsule wardrobe line from Linea for the next year or so.  Of course, that's also if Linea would find doing this profitable and if QVC would also see decent profits to warrant keeping Linea. I'd like to see Joan's line expand to 4X and 5X. The line already consists of oversized items, so there must be plus size ladies in the expanded size range that would like the chance to buy the looser fit Joan's line has. I know that I would. I also prefer wovens to knits and Joan sells woven. Louis designed some of both. Q needs more variety. The constant selling of the same brands in the same limited fabrics, which are now looking so much alike, is getting so boring. There's a daily rotation of Denim & Co. to Graver to Isaac and around and around. 

Honored Contributor

Interesting you mention it because I have been thinking about that.

I think it could be because it's Joan Rivers "classics."  There are a lot of traditionally styled shirts and pants, an all-American style that might be appealing to more buyers; therefore, higher sales.

By the way, both Louis and Joan used the same manufacturer.  Elaine retired, so it will be interesting to see if Joan's quality is the same.  

Louis strayed from his classic men's inspired designs he did for Anne Klein.  Although, we know him for his classic traditional trench coats, it was just this past year with his blazers did I see the real Louis Dell'Olio I knew return; however, those exquisitely tailored suits and slacks never showed up.  They wouldn't sell anyway in this casual environment, definitely not to many Millennials.  

I also think there are other factors such as David is always accessible and Joan is probably still remembered by more buyers. 

Louis left Anne Klein in 1993, then, pretty much faded away until QVC.  Anne Klein wanted someone who would bring younger styles to the fashion house. This also could be another reason why QVC let him go.  Louis said he didn't want to design casual clothing.  

There could be other reasons, as well, that we might never know.  

Honored Contributor

Obviously, it's because the JR line sells and the Linea line was not selling.  At least not selling well enough to be profitable for QVC.  I think the Linea customer was aging fast and retiring and they weren't buy his clothes, they didn't need them.  Also, the styles were classic and a bit staid so nothing went out of style.  After Joan's passing, the JR line did an over haul and became more casual and all about separates which easily mix and match with other things in the brand and with other QVC designers.  Shopping channel shoppers really are not looking for things that will last for 15 years.  

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't bought anything Joan Rivers since well before she passed. She did dresses and jackets that fit short people.  When she stopped selling that, I found nothing else worth buying.  Except for some colorful jewelry near the end of her life, which jewelry was definitely not the same quality as she sold in the beginning.  But the old jewelry was not consistent with current tastes.

Honored Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

Linea: a true designer line at a much better price point than JR.

I do like David Dangle, but not a fan or the clothes or jewelry.

David Dangle is pretty much a one-trick pony.  Somewhere along the line he got cute and put buttons down the back of a big sh I rt.  He hasn't stopped since.  How many of these things does a girl need? Not much originality in the line.  He designs things he knows, feminizing men's shirts.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I don't dig David.......never have...........so don't watch.