Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: JOAN RIVERS ESTATE WORTH $150 MILLION

Net worth includes the value of everything you own, not just money. It would include homes,the total worth of her jewelry business, book earnings, investments, personal belongings like furs, jewelry, furniture, artwork. 150 million is a heck of a lot, but I am sure most is in assets and investments. Joan did have a pretty lavish lifestyle, and she was not cheap. She was generous beyond most people of her means. Her charities were so precious to her. She used her talents, her time and her money to help a couple charities and foundations that were close to her heart. . She gave money to others. I think she never ever forgot where she was at one point. In debt, no income and box office poison so to speak. Friends helped her. She had nothing,and some people turned their back on her. . She could have written many of Edger's debts off and filed bankruptcy but she insisted on working and paying her husbands debts off. Many other women have done this and I think it is something I admire so deeply. Debbie Reynolds, Doris Day were literally bankrupt from a spouse's debts. But they worked and worked, and paid every debt off. I think Joan said it took her 10 years to pay the debts off..

Honored Contributor

I was looking at those pictures of her below pointing to the calander/ She had such beautiful hands and nails.

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/11/2014 elated said:

Her mother's penthouse is worth $30 million. Melissa said she will keep it. It is a magnificent place. Joan said she made $50 million a year from the Q. She said she loved a lavish lifestyle and that is why she worked so hard to maintain it. This was in an interview she gave back in 2010.

Where did Melissa say she would keep Joan's apartment?? Melissa is based in Calif. I seriously doubt she would,keep.that huge,apartment Joan owned in NYC.
Trusted Contributor

On 9/12/2014 KathyPet said:
On 9/11/2014 elated said:

Her mother's penthouse is worth $30 million. Melissa said she will keep it. It is a magnificent place. Joan said she made $50 million a year from the Q. She said she loved a lavish lifestyle and that is why she worked so hard to maintain it. This was in an interview she gave back in 2010.

Where did Melissa say she would keep Joan's apartment?? Melissa is based in Calif. I seriously doubt she would,keep.that huge,apartment Joan owned in NYC.
Why wouldn't she keep it, there's lots of memories there and besides when Melissa works in NYC, she will have her mother's gorgeous penthouse to stay in.
Honored Contributor

Elated. Thank you for the article. I knew I had read somewhere that Joan was bilked out of money and was heavily in debt at one time. No one but me seemed to remember it. LOL

I doubt the figure quoted by TVGuide is correct. I doubt any of that has even been figured out yet. For heaven sake it's only been 1 week.

Super Contributor

Joan told her everything was in her name!!!

Super Contributor

They said most of that fortune comes from QVC sales
Super Contributor

On 9/11/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

I have no idea what Melissa actually does ...... but inheriting $150 million from anyone is certainly "fortunate".

Yes, she'd rather have her mom, but sooner or later Joan was going to die.

We all do. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Exactly. I'm sure she'd love to have her mom back too. However, it is very fortunate to inherit $150 million dollars. She is a very lucky young woman indeed.

Most of us do not inherit $150 million when our parents die.

Super Contributor

On 9/12/2014 LipstickDiva said:

Elated. Thank you for the article. I knew I had read somewhere that Joan was bilked out of money and was heavily in debt at one time. No one but me seemed to remember it. LOL

I doubt the figure quoted by TVGuide is correct. I doubt any of that has even been figured out yet. For heaven sake it's only been 1 week.

LD I remember reading that too.

I believe that Bob Mackie also had the same financial/debt issues when he came to QVC. He was broke. His line took off, he was able to pay off his debt and become financially viable again! QVC has done some wonderful things for a lot of vendors.

I am thrilled that Joan had the success she did with QVC and made the money she did. I loved Joan and I have plenty of her jewelry. She was an amazing woman!

I think Melissa was lucky to have Joan for a mother and IS a very lucky young woman that she thought to leave her estate to her. They were very close. Her mother even joked about her death saying (and I think this was even written in the funeral program) -- "YES Melissa that day will come and YES everything is in your name". So yes I think it's lucky that Melissa was left what she was by Joan. I think Joan was an amazing businesswoman. I am sure she invested wisely and I think it is fantastic that she was able to leave Melissa what she did.

I think that that estimate may be on the "low" side though....I bet her estate is worth much more. Good for her. She worked very hard for what she earned.

Trusted Contributor

I know my initial reaction to the comment of lucky - was "what!?" {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

But I don't think it was meant like that - or I would hope not. I give the benefit of the doubt , as there is time to attack later . Wink

I think what is intended- is we all lose our parents/family and experience the pain that can go with it. We don't however, inherit millions.

The comment is not to say that makes the loss/pain go away. It is simply stating the "luck" of that amount of money . Not that anyone thinks she is lucky she passed -so to inherit it. IT isn't being seen as an "exchange."

Looking at what was meant, instead of just what the wording was.

You'll find my heart at the Rainbow Bridge. Smiley Sad