Honored Contributor

Talbots clothes are strictly classic (some very preppy) and prices are high.  Sales are average.  JJill is classic with an edge and JJill has the best sales around.  I remember when JJill opened their 1st store in Naperville, IL.  The place was wall to wall women.  The clothes were so interesting -- great fashion and they sold shoes too.  It has changed over the years and sometimes I wish they would go back to their early days of fashion.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I like the fact that J.Jill carries some talls and I like their linen but overall their style does not appeal to me - they look like yoga clothes.  

Talbots is better quality.  I do purchase items there for layering.  There pants are too short for me and jackets do not fit correctly.  I have found most of my clothes $$ lately have gone to J. Crew.

Respected Contributor

I am Petite in height but curvy.  Talbots fits me well and they have casual, work, and dressy styles.  Their clothes are not trendy, but are not old-fashioned, just kinda preppy. Years ago I went into a J Jill store because they carry Petite sizing too. Nothing fit me right; I felt it was designed for a younger figure .  Can't say that is true today because I haven't been back there. Talbots have great sales and that is when I buy, however, if I need something I know I can shop there and find something that fits me well.

Esteemed Contributor

I feel that the quality of my J Jill pieces has been better than the overall quality of what I've purchased at Talbots.  I've been really disappointed with a lot of Talbots' offerings in recent years in terms of design and quality.  Plus, I think the sizing from J Jill is more consistent.

Yesterday I wore a black pair of J Jill crop pants.  I've pulled them out every summer for at least 15 years.  They still look new and consistent with what can be bought new in stores today.  

Honored Contributor

@pprmntstx wrote:

@Cavime 

@Cavime wrote:

How does jjill compare to talbots clothing?

Good question!  I'm a loyal Talbots shopper!

@pprmntstx Me too!  It's all Talbots for me except for LL Bean Pima tshirts!  And denim and co. pants for at home wear. 

I don't think you can beat their value, their fit, and their styles for average women.  

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne 

Have you tried Express for pants? I believe their talls are around 35 inches.

They carry some beautiful classic trousers and I know that San Antonio girl (she's impossible to tag)is quite tall too and likes their pants

Actually the store is great for gals with long legs. Even their petites are 30 inches! LOL

Honored Contributor

@Memebell wrote:

How does the quality compare?

@Cavime J Jill is, in most cases more relaxed, looser styles, and a lot of linen.

Talbots has the basics plus fashion pieces.  If I were going for the top quality, comparing a shhort sleeve tee to the same, that would be pretty equal.

There is no comparison without almost identical styles, but Talbots carries merino wool.  J Jill does not.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Memebell wrote:

How does the quality compare?

@Cavime J Jill is, in most cases more relaxed, looser styles, and a lot of linen.

Talbots has the basics plus fashion pieces.  If I were going for the top quality, comparing a shhort sleeve tee to the same, that would be pretty equal.

There is no comparison without almost identical styles, but Talbots carries merino wool.  J Jill does not.

@ECBG 

jjill carries 100% merino wool.

of course, this time of the year, there are only a few items available and they are all on sale.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

@sunshine45 

You are right! JJill carries merino wool in the winter months and like you said sale items in off season. I have several sweaters and some scarves. I have shopped with JJill since they were established I suppose. It's been so long I can't remember!  I like the style and the fit of their clothes. I have linen shirts and pants that I have had for years. They still look great! I have every color of their pointe pants! Love them! So I'm a JJill girl. I'll stick with buying from their store and their website. Love their flash sales! 

Respected Contributor
I’m plus size and Talbots gets plus size tailoring. J Jill has lovely things but I’ve never had a pair of pants from there fit properly.