Honored Contributor

Re: JC Penney Closing a # of Stores

It's never been a favorite, but for years, it was reliable. It was one of a few 'go to' places to look at rugs, window coverings, some furniture and other housewares. I was never a fan of their clothes but even there would occasionally find some good buys... In recent years, they've deep-sixed (or might as well have) most rugs (online only), the furniture and window coverings aren't what they used to be and the window coverings are often not in stock (even online) and I don't find their prices for most things to be all that swift... I hope they hang on, but think the series of misteps has cost them dearly. Personally, I think they should bring back their catalog and smaller specialty catalogs... Some folks I know still miss them and others might shop from them just for the nostalgia factor. Oh, and their website leaves a lot of room for improvment... The other thing that hurts them is although I live in a major metro area, I can only think of two stores even semi-locally, which means it's far easier to shop elsewhere...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

If JCP leaves my town, our once-thriving mall will be left with no anchor. I don't shop there often, but when I do I find great deals. All I can do is keep my fingers crossed that the closure list doesn't include ours. The prospect that someday our only shopping choices could be online makes me very, very sad. To quote Carrie from Sex and the City, "Shopping is my cardio."

Honored Contributor

I am not a fan of JCP, but hate to see stores close and people lose jobs.  I don't think online sales has anything to do with them closing.  

Honored Contributor

I hope my favorite local store stays open.    Just got a GREAT deal at JCP online .....   a memory foam mattress pad that's even better than I expected it to be!

Honored Contributor

I don't shop much at my JCP anymore. I used to find lots of nice work separates there, but I don't find as many things I like now. I occasionally buy something from their Liz C brand. I hate to see another store close, and I don't like buying clothes online, but it seems this is the way things are going. Sad.

Respected Contributor

Love JCP!!!  Great prices and nice place to shop for basic clothing pieces.  Would be very sad if my store is included in the closings.

Respected Contributor

I'm happy to see here that  many shoppers like JCP. The store was so bad for awhile when that other CEO was in charge, but they've worked hard to turn things around, and now my JCP stores are lovely with good merchandise. I want them to succeed, and hope lots of people have and will give theme another try. I hope that closing underperforming stores will improve the viability of the remaining stores. Fingers crossed it all works out for them and for consumers.

Honored Contributor

Ours has been a ghost town since they hired that guy from Apple.  I actually stopped by the other day and you can see this one is slated to close.  The shoe dept was a mess, shoes all over the place and most on clearance.  A rather rude clerk at the front desk was taking a check on account from a customer in a hurry.  It was not handled well at all.  And since they gypped me out of 300 reward points I don't give a darn what happens to them. 

Honored Contributor

I shop at JCP online.  The JCP store here is up by Macy's Herald Square and that area of NYC is a mob scene.  I only go up there when necessary.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like JCP, always have. The nearest one to me is about an hour away and, since retiring, I'm not shopping like I used to so haven't been there in a while. I do order online, however I hate to think they may close the doors.

"To each their own, in all things".