Honored Contributor

JC Penney Closing a # of Stores

Citing stiff online retail competition, JC Penney is closing up to 140 stores and two distribution centers over the next few months. 

However, they intend to fight the good fight and adjust their business to try to stay competitive.

Yahoo Finance is one place that has the story you can read for further details.

I haven't shopped in JC Penney in... I don't remember when.

Honored Contributor

Re: JC Penney Closing a # of Stores

I have not stepped foot in a JC Penny store in forever. Will not miss them.

Respected Contributor

The two JCPS in my town are terrific after the revamping. Terrific products and lovely, cheery ambience. I sincerely hope those stores and the chain as a whole will survive.

Respected Contributor

I shop at JCP all the time!  I recently got some new drapes for my family room, and a new winter coat.  Like the Ana line, for casual clothes, too.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Trusted Contributor

I  hope it isn't going to be one by me. I love that Store. It's  a medium  high end store with very lovely  clothing at not a horrendous  cost. I've  been buying my window coverings Thier  for 43 years.  Starting from back in the day tie back drapes and shears that match, to roll up shades, to pleated blinds, to lace curtains for my bedroom.  We  go Thier to by my MIL a pretty blouse for church at Christmas time. 

Oh well, such is life.

Honored Contributor

OMG!!!!! JCP is my store.  I need to go over to the article and read up on this.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

That is sad. I shop at JCPenny for Jeans (Lee's) and shirts (Liz Clairborne).  The prices are great! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Okay, so we won't know the list until mid March.  To be honest, I shop JCP online.  They sell tall ladies clothes and have done so via catalog and online for the past 36 years I've been shopping with them.  I shop online (no other choice for talls) frequently and I am spoiled by having the Ohio distribution just one state over (I'm in Michigan).  I can order something from JCP and have it here in 4 days.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Regular Contributor

I've always been intriqued about J.C. Penney himself--he went broke--then suffered a deep depression-- then rebounded.  Thought you might find this good reading (note the creator of Walmart in this story too):

~~~~~~

After the 1929 stock crash, Penney lost virtually all his personal wealth, and borrowed against his life insurance policies to help the company meet its payroll. The financial setbacks took a toll on his health. Penney checked himself into the Battle Creek Sanitarium, where he was treated. After hearing the hymn "God Will Take Care of You" (written by Civilla Durfee Martin) being sung at a service in the hospital's chapel, Penney became a born-again Christian.[2] Even after relinquishing daily operating management of the company, Penney continued his active involvement in managing the company and its stores. In 1940, during a visit to a store in Des Moines, Iowa, he trained a young Sam Walton on how to wrap packages with a minimal amount of paper and ribbon.[3] He remained as chairman of the board until 1946, and after that as honorary chairman until his death in 1971. Until the end of his life he continued to go to his offices.

Esteemed Contributor

I hope they don't close my store in CO. They only have two big retail stores close to my home and JCP is one of them. The other one is Kohl's. I really like JCP. The people in this store are so nice and accommodating. Their sales are great. The other day I went into JCP and they had people in the store. Kohl's store was nearly empty. They have cut down on their petite selection and I was not happy about that. Also, they are not as customer friendly as JCP.  I will have to travel approximately 30 - 40 minutes to get to any big retail store. The other big mall is in Denver which is about 1 hour or more from my house. This would be like going to downtown LA.  I use to live in CA and there was a big mall (South Coast Plaza) by my home. It was five minutes away. I really miss CA because they had so many shopping places by my home.