Super Contributor

Items stuck in "preparing your order"

In the month of May I have ordered 6 clothing items. I had to cancel 3 items because they didn't ship so that I could use them as planned. The other 3 are now in "preparing your order" for 2 weeks. They were in backorder, even though when I checked, they still were available in my size and color.

I don't understand how this can happen to so many items. I've been shopping with the Q for 20 years and never had a problem like this. Help!

Honored Contributor

Re: Items stuck in "preparing your order"

QVC has been using the term "backorder" so much resulting in a lot of complaints.  Yes, there are port and ground delivery delays due to Covid, but "backordering" is more recent.

I don't know if QVC is using "backordering," but it sure sounds familiar.  I posted this previously, but it looks like many didn't see it, so for those who didn't, here it is again.

Selling without stock: what is Backordering?

"Customers and costs are two major concerns for any company. Overstocking products lead to a surge in storage and purchase costs. If the goods remain unsold, it results in losses. On the other hand, insufficient inventory and late deliveries cause dissatisfaction among customers.

Backorders is a smart thing to do because:

•  
  • It eliminates the costs of storage space since it does not require keeping extra items at the warehouse.
  • It reduces carrying costs.
  • It helps retain customers because sales happen even though the stock is unavailable at the moment.
  • It boosts growth and improves your brand value.

Simply allowing backordering doesn’t bring you these benefits. It depends on various factors like the type of product and supply chain efficiency. If not planned well, it can put the retailer’s reputation at stake.

Issues with Backorders 

In times where customers are used to instant gratification, companies cannot afford wrong or delayed order deliveries. 

Backorders translate to having orders that can’t be fulfilled at the moment. The process requires retailers to raise purchase orders, coordinate with vendors, fulfill supplies, and ship items – all this by the date promised to the customer.

Without a proper inventory management tool,  backordering can turn into a problem. Failure to manage backorders causes severe problems like:

•  
  • Loss of customer trust 
  • Loss of business
  • Loss of your brand’s credibility
  • Financial losses due to additional costs of inventory and shipment charges."

See more at the link below.  

Selling without stock: what is Backordering? (tradegecko.com)

Trusted Contributor

Hi, @Brigitta !  I had two orders recently (Ryka walking shoe an IHKWIP crossbody) that were in Preparing Your Order for at least 3 days and finally flipped to Backorder today.  I cancelled both.  I'm not playing this game.

I have an order for an Americana wreath from Valerie that was available when I ordered it and is still available to be ordered - no mention of advance order or waitlist.  It is showing Preparing Your Order.  As much as I want the item, if it flips to Backorder, I'll cancel it, too. I'm done!

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you foxxee for the explanation. I was wondering what was going on. I might just cancel all of the orders.

Update: I just checked and the orders are now "in process" and I can't cancel them. Bummer!

Contributor

My Zuda order went into "preparing your order status" a few days ago and never gave me the chance to cancel. Bought the joggers and some T's.  I'm hoping the items dont go to backorder, because I placed my order early in the day. 

Frequent Visitor

I also purchased the Zuda joggers when they were TSV and I ordered them early that day. I ordered three colors and they were 'preparing your order' until today when it switched to 'back order'. Now that I understand that this can happen when the vendor, QVC,  hasn't received the stock I wonder how this can happen when QVC and the manufacturer are the same entity. I'm pretty sure that when this product was the TSV we were told this was a QVC owned company. 

Until now my QVC purchases were limited to home and kitchen items and I'd never experienced the 'in-stock, backordered, sold-out but showing available' merry go round as lately when I started trying to purchase clothes from QVC. 

Are some labels more reliable as to availability and shipping than others? 

My order also has been stuck in processing my order for three weeks, It's not shipping and they can't cancel it, etc. not sure what to do. 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know what they are doing...but it is not going well with their customers...