Trusted Contributor

Itchy printed clothing tags - Solution!

I purchased some new bras and on the inside of the back band is the printed-on sizing and laundry info, AKA "tagless" label.  It finally dawned on me that whatever they used for that label was causing me to be itchy in that spot on my back.  Latex perhaps?

I remembered several years ago that many people had reactions to these tags, especially kids on the back of their necks.  Google searches suggested winter green oil or hydrogen peroxide and a toothbrush to remove the labels, which seemed messy to me, and could possibly stain the fabric.

So, I ordered some Johnson & Smith iron on patches from Amazon.  It's a very soft fabric material.  I just cut a piece big enough to cover that itchy tag and ironed it on.  I'll have to see how well it holds up in the wash.  🤞🏻

61mp1UzDJbL._AC_SY450_.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: Itchy printed clothing tags - Solution!

In recent times clothing manufacturers have been using laser cutting devices where it 'cuts' out the fabric but the laser actually burns a cut in the fabric. When they do that it gives the edge of the laser-cut fabric a sharp edge and I find it so irritating on my skin. I've actually worn some clothes inside-out just to keep from getting irritation from the rough edges of laser-cut fabrics.  Synthetic fabrics and threads are cut with a laser and even thread gets a sharp end to it. I can feel that, too. ...ughhhh.

Thanks for the tip about the patches @LdyBugz 

I could use something like that. My skin is so sensitive.

Honored Contributor

I just cut 'em out .

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee  Yes, those edges aren't pleasant either!  Or the sharp edges on sewn in labels or when they use that clear, plastic thread that has a sharp end sticking out.  

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee  I try to cut out labels that bother me whenever possible.  Sometimes they sew the label right into the neck seam though so it's tough to remove and mend.  There's also been times where removing the sewn on tag leaves noticeable tiny holes in the fabric that don't ease after washing.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use a seam ripper for sewn in tags. It's saved me $ from cutting holes in tops. 
  Sometimes on rough edges I've used an Emory board to smoothe them.

I wonder if goo gone would remove the printed labels? 
         ✂️🔪 👚👗🤨🤪

Esteemed Contributor

@LdyBugz wrote:

I purchased some new bras and on the inside of the back band is the printed-on sizing and laundry info, AKA "tagless" label.  It finally dawned on me that whatever they used for that label was causing me to be itchy in that spot on my back.  Latex perhaps?

I remembered several years ago that many people had reactions to these tags, especially kids on the back of their necks.  Google searches suggested winter green oil or hydrogen peroxide and a toothbrush to remove the labels, which seemed messy to me, and could possibly stain the fabric.

So, I ordered some Johnson & Smith iron on patches from Amazon.  It's a very soft fabric material.  I just cut a piece big enough to cover that itchy tag and ironed it on.  I'll have to see how well it holds up in the wash.  🤞🏻

61mp1UzDJbL._AC_SY450_.jpg

Why not just cut them off?  I do.  You do have to be careful though, so as to not cut into the actual garment.  I always take that out if it's at the neck.

I much prefer for manufacturers to put labels on the bottom side of a garment.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Trusted Contributor

@gertrudecloset  As I noted further down in the replies, I DO cut out bothersome tags when possible.  It's the tags printed on the actual garment that can't be cut out.  And yes, you do need to be careful removing the sewn in tags.  I have a seam ripper and embroidery scissors that usually work well on those.  Thx!

Trusted Contributor

@1Snickers  Oh that's a great idea about the emory board!  I'll have to try that!  Thanks!  And yes, I have a seam ripper, too.

I love Susan Graver clothing and wish she would do all her tops without tags.