Respected Contributor

Re: It's Not a 'Maxi' Skirt, QVC

On 3/13/2014 ChynnaBlue said:
On 3/12/2014 DiAnne said:

I don't know how long you want your skirts but have you looked on Soft Surroundings. They have a lot of long skirts.

Really good suggestion! They always have beautiful long skirts. I like to look, but at 5' no inches, I'm not even risking the petite sizes.

I agree with you and DiAnne--they DO have beautiful skirts and I've purchased quite a few. Funny thing is their "tall" length is too long for me on most styles. Go figure!

I think the tall and petite women in the world have a challenge getting clothes to fit. But, if we were men, that wouldn't be a problem. Hems would be provided.

Super Contributor

Good to see folks having strong opinions.

Trusted Contributor

On 3/13/2014 GraceCO said:
On 3/13/2014 namealreadytaken said:

The definition of maxi skirt does not mean it goes to the ankles of anyone, but covers most or all of the legs. This skirt does exactly that, even on Jac. It covered most of her legs.

Then, you're saying Louis was wrong when he said -- "this skirt is not a maxi skirt"? I'm thinking Louis Dell Olio knows what he's talking about.

GraceCo, are you saying you ignored what Louis said and hoped it was a full maxi? Did you order before you saw it presented and before checking the measurements? Sorry but this is a bit confusing. I think these days a maxi means little more than a long skirt. How long and where it hits depends who is naming it and your own individual height. This one is labeled a maxi on Nordstrom site.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/komarov-stretch-maxi-skirt/3622452?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort...

Alternate Product Image 2Alternate Product Image 1

Respected Contributor

On 3/13/2014 Jerseygirl1266 said:
On 3/13/2014 namealreadytaken said:

The definition of maxi skirt does not mean it goes to the ankles of anyone, but covers most or all of the legs. This skirt does exactly that, even on Jac. It covered most of her legs.

Then, you're saying Louis was wrong when he said -- "this skirt is not a maxi skirt"? I'm thinking Louis Dell Olio knows what he's talking about.

GraceCo, are you saying you ignored what Louis said and hoped it was a full maxi? Did you order before you saw it presented and before checking the measurements? Sorry but this is a bit confusing. I think these days a maxi means little more than a long skirt. How long and where it hits depends who is naming it and your own individual height.

I didn't ignore what Louis said--I didn't know what Louis said until "boonies" pointed it out here. And, I ordered all three skirts before they were presented on air, based on the item description and photos. Even on Louis' blog, it looks quite long and lovely. BUT, I admit my role in this disappointment.

And, I'd rather not reiterate what I've just said over and over again. The point remains. QVC has a responsibility to keep it accurate in words and photos.

Trusted Contributor

GraceCo, I think QVC will do what QVC will do as will other retailers, as I have mentioned. If you want to avoid returns you need to have more information before buying either by waiting till presentation to order or checking the online measurements to make sure they meet your expectations and needs.

Trusted Contributor

On 3/13/2014 DiAnne said:

I can understand your frustration. I am tall and leggy - I have been frustrated for years by the pants. They have some petites but no talls. The pants do not have enough of a hem to lengthen. Just stop buying Linea. The decline in the quality over the lasts few years bothers me much more.

PS: I also ordered the skirts and tanks in indigo and black but I was going to shorten the skirts but decided the fabric did not have enough body so I am just keeping the tanks.

DiAnne, I could not agree with you more! I too noticed a major decline in the quality of this line though I know that many fail to admit the obvious for whatever reason.

Respected Contributor

GraceCo, I think QVC will do what QVC will do as will other retailers, as I have mentioned. If you want to avoid returns you need to have more information before buying either by waiting till presentation to order or checking the online measurements to make sure they meet your expectations and needs.

Well, no kidding, Jerseygirl. I think I've already pointed this out as have others, so this is not a new thought in this thread. There's a bigger issue here and it goes beyond disappointments over having to return three skirts.

And, as for the "decline in quality" in the Linea line you mention above? Even a lesser quality is far better than any other clothing line QVC carries. No other designer rivals what Louis Dell Olio provides to QVC, which is why going elsewhere is a bit more difficult for those of us who recognize and appreciate it.

Super Contributor

I do think that one must pay attention the measurements when ordering a skirt like that, because if you know a 34 inch skirt is mid-calf on you then clearly that isn't a maxi skirt.

I also really think QVC needs to focus more on their item descriptions, and be more clear and accurate about what the item really is. This issue has come up in the past, for example, with Maxx New York handbags, when describing handbags as "nubuck" when in fact they weren't even real leather, but man made materials. Many ladies were upset that the word "nubuck" was used to describe the bag in the item description and that that term leads one to believe that the bag is leather.

I think when ordering online if you are ordering a piece of clothing before it is shown on air, you must pay particular attention to the measurements, because if there is no photo of the item on a model, you have nothing to look at to determine the fit or length etc. That is why you really have to know your body and what measurements work for you.

For myself, I would know that a 34 inch skirt would hit me about mid-shin and half way up my calf. A 36 inch skirt on me, is what I like to wear in a regular length long skirt. A true maxi length for me, is around 40 inches. This length hits me right at or just below my ankles. I am almost 5'9.

So I think there is a responsibility on Q's part to adequately and concisely describe the item, but it's also the responsibility of the customer to make sure you know what you're ordering when measurements are available to you, you have to check those.

Respected Contributor

On 3/13/2014 imaclotheshog said:

I do think that one must pay attention the measurements when ordering a skirt like that, because if you know a 34 inch skirt is mid-calf on you then clearly that isn't a maxi skirt.

I also really think QVC needs to focus more on their item descriptions, and be more clear and accurate about what the item really is. This issue has come up in the past, for example, with Maxx New York handbags, when describing handbags as "nubuck" when in fact they weren't even real leather, but man made materials. Many ladies were upset that the word "nubuck" was used to describe the bag in the item description and that that term leads one to believe that the bag is leather.

I think when ordering online if you are ordering a piece of clothing before it is shown on air, you must pay particular attention to the measurements, because if there is no photo of the item on a model, you have nothing to look at to determine the fit or length etc. That is why you really have to know your body and what measurements work for you.

For myself, I would know that a 34 inch skirt would hit me about mid-shin and half way up my calf. A 36 inch skirt on me, is what I like to wear in a regular length long skirt. A true maxi length for me, is around 40 inches. This length hits me right at or just below my ankles. I am almost 5'9.

So I think there is a responsibility on Q's part to adequately and concisely describe the item, but it's also the responsibility of the customer to make sure you know what you're ordering when measurements are available to you, you have to check those.

Well said and I totally agree!

Trusted Contributor

Well, no kidding, Jerseygirl. I think I've already pointed this out as have others, so this is not a new thought in this thread. There's a bigger issue here and it goes beyond disappointments over having to return three skirts.

Sounds like you are having a bad day. Sorry.{#emotions_dlg.sad} As for what you feel is a big issue, I guess I am missing the point. You do not like QVC's definition of the word maxi? QVC as well as other retailers will continue to call very long skirts maxis. Plain and simple. Some will be to your liking as far as length goes and some will not.

If the bigger issue is the concern about the quality, buttons falling off, lack of good fabrics, and on and on, then that I am happy to agree.