Esteemed Contributor

I have found a lot of grammatical errors in the newspapers, and even some in books, which is a bit shocking.  Well languages and spellings are always changing and evolving.  There is not as much, if any, emphasis on spelling in schools these days as the computer corrects (sometimes incorrectly) many problems.  This is just another example, in my opinion, of how the younger generation lacks a bit of discipline in regard to paying attention to details and doing things the right way, vs. quick and easy.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

If I ruled the world the words literally, obsessed, iconic, and amazing  would disappear from QV.C. It's just my humble opinion but the overuse or incorrect use of any word is obnoxious and on the Q they grab on a new word and ride it into the ground.

Some other overused words/phrases used on QVC over the years:

1) Chic

2) High end

3) Busy mom

4) Fabrication

5) Luminosity

Honored Contributor

I use the spellcheck feature here most of the time but sometimes I forget. No biggie.

Esteemed Contributor

@lgfan 

Don't forget: 

Elevates

Looks like money!

Sick

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

I have blamed the slaughter of our language on the fact that books are no longer read. I owned a travel company for many years, one of my largest customers was our local newspaper. I worked with the reporters, writers and proofreaders. One of the proofreaders was an avid traveler so I got to know her quite well, I just know that she is spinning her grave when she reads that paper today,

Lynn-Critter Lover!
(especially cats!)
Trusted Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

If I ruled the world the words literally, obsessed, iconic, and amazing  would disappear from QV.C. It's just my humble opinion but the overuse or incorrect use of any word is obnoxious and on the Q they grab on a new word and ride it into the ground.

@QVCkitty1    Or the word "Wild".... or "Wildly Popular".    One host in particular says it constantly.  🤦🏻‍♀️

Honored Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

While we're at it...

No "s" on Nordstrom, Tiffany or Aldi

@scatcat - or Kroger or Walmart.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Remember when everyone had THIS on your office desk???

Instant Spelling Dictionary : 25,000 Words Spelled, Divided - Acc - Picture 1 of 2

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

Public Service Announcement: It's spelled gaudy .

Since so many posters use the word gaudy in describing fashion, it would probably be a good thing to spell it right lol. 

@shoesnbags OK but it is GAWD AWFUL!!!!!  Please be sure to get that one right. 

Esteemed Contributor

When working for an Fortune 500 Aerospace Co. many years ago, we had a Secretary who was finally promoted to Technician due to her incompetence (and to avoid terminating a single parent). The "Peter Principle" was in effect and it was a mess! (She was eventually terminated.)

As a Technician, she functioned much better doing routine manual-type things. She tried, but couldn't cut it even as a Tech. Complaints were constant and she redid more than she accomplished. But she loved to throw in big words when talking with men in an attempt to impress. Often she had no idea how to use the word (or what it meant). None of this mattered to her. She was too busy looking for Mr. Right!

My office was across the hall from the cubicle she and several other employees sat in and their voices drifted in my open door throughout the day. One day I heard her say, "It's pneumatic." Followed by a long pause. Then: "It's a scientific word. (pause) No, it's not in the dictionery. (pause) "Just like it sounds: n-u-m-a-t-i-c ."  Smiley Wink

By then, another manager had heard her latest "brilliant lesson to the world" and we both left our offices bursting with laughter. Smiley Very Happy

Apparently whomever she was talking with on the phone had backed her into a corner!!! I have no idea how she ended the call. We were laughing too hard to care.        Neither of us told her as we headed for the coffee machine, grateful neither of us had her to supervise! I have no idea if her supervisor was in his office or not.

That's how 50% of her conversations went. Listening to her was frustrating. I tried the first few years, but nope; couldn't interact with her and keep my sanity. Nice person, but used pot & drugs; it was telling the next day; she wasn't very bright or awake the following day(s)!  

Words and behaviors count in the workplace.

Money screams; wealth whispers.