Esteemed Contributor

Public Service Announcement: It's spelled gaudy .

Since so many posters use the word gaudy in describing fashion, it would probably be a good thing to spell it right lol. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

Public Service Announcement: It's spelled gaudy .

Since so many posters use the word gaudy in describing fashion, it would probably be a good thing to spell it right lol. 

Oh Lawdy!  Thanks for the correction.  😄

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Respected Contributor

Yes.  And when something gets your interest, it's "piqued" and not peaked.  Smiley Happy  

And it's should HAVE and not should OF.  

Honored Contributor

If you Google it it says this: Gaudy and gawdy are different spellings of the same word. Gaudy is recommended by most dictionaries and usage guides, but gawdy is listed as an accepted variant. In either spelling, the word means (1) showy in a tasteless or vulgar way; or it refers to (2) a festival or raucous party, or (3) a showy ornament.

Respected Contributor

While we're at it...

No "s" on Nordstrom, Tiffany or Aldi

Trusted Contributor

Image result for people with correct grammar and spelling syndrome

Respected Contributor

@KingstonMom wrote:

And what should we call it when certain posters prefer to chastise us for posting our comments?  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: It's GAUDY not GAWDY

[ Edited ]

@KingstonMom 

It's also the result of having been a teacher.  Seeing the same misspelling over and over makes my eyeballs hurt!  But in my defense, I only picked on one word, not "every grammatical error."  Carry on.

ETA

Also, this was a generalized statement, not directed at a particular poster.  I think that would be rude.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Trusted Contributor

@santorini wrote:

@KingstonMom wrote:

And what should we call it when certain posters prefer to chastise us for posting our comments?  

@santorini 

I wasn't chastising at all, I thought it was funny.

Honored Contributor

If I ruled the world the words literally, obsessed, iconic, and amazing  would disappear from QV.C. It's just my humble opinion but the overuse or incorrect use of any word is obnoxious and on the Q they grab on a new word and ride it into the ground.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan