Contributor

Re: It doesn't cost $7 to pack and ship a liquid knit top. QVC we are not idiots!

I had three jewelry items in my basket at ShopHQ that totaled about $120. Shipping costs were almost $21....basket emptied.

Respected Contributor

Re: It doesn't cost $7 to pack and ship a liquid knit top. QVC we are not idiots!

If you go to mail something or take it to ups it is not that cheap.

Super Contributor

On 1/10/2014 VaBelle35 said:

Sell a few things on eBay and you will be amazed how much it costs to ship something, even if it's light. The size of the box matters, too.

Plus, I don't have to pay for a warehouse, an employee to package it up, plus benefits, plus the machinery to package it up and print the label or the box (I reuse boxes and envelopes as much as possible from things I buy).

Have you prices boxes and envelopes? They are not cheap, even the cheap ones.

Yes, QVC buys in bulk and gets a discount, but really, it's not cheap to ship.

It is no secret that QVC makes a large profit on S&H. Obviously there are costs involved with shipping but wonder how other retails manage to offer inexpensive or free shipping.......{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Super Contributor

Sorry I think it is more then distance it has to travel then how much

something weighs..and those lightweight tops of SG are heavy

take one of the plastic bag and check it out.

Honored Contributor

I agree that it costs a lot to pay QVC's shipping. However, I send my two daughters and grandchildren packages at least once a week. Sometimes the boxes are weird sizes (then it is really expensive). I know I'm in trouble when the post person gets out her ruler! Whoa! Look out!

My problem is that if I want to send my daughter in Denver something, because the UPS (not post office guy) does not have a key to get into her building the UPS packages are always TRIED to be delivered between 1:00PM and 3:00PM. Well, I'm sorry, but she has to work so when they deliver the package she isn't home so it goes back to the UPS store (which is a long way from where she lives). Many times it gets sent back to QVC or HSN.

So......I end up having something for her delivered to me and then I go to the US post office and mail it out to her. You see the US post office has a key to get into her building and can leave it at the door.

That's how I know about the cost of shipping. I have tried to pay extra money with QVC shipping to make sure it went by US Post office. NOPE...didn't work. I've been told by management that QVC and HSN has no way to determine how a product will be shipped. Sometimes a blouse from QVC will come in the US mail and sometimes it comes by UPS/FED EX. No rhyme or reason!

Yet we continue to hear the boo hoos at how the US post office is loosing money. My local post office (the very large one) has just downsized 2 weeks BEFORE Christmas from 5 behind the counter employees to 2 counter employees. The rest of the counter is dedicated to DO IT YOURSELF. We are expected to try to measure a box (difficult if it is large) and figure out the cost of it. They did not add extra boxes to put the shipped boxes in.

I can see why they are going under. I have several friends who have worked at the post office for many years. They get unbelievable benefits. A lot of people think they are the US government, but they aren't really. They are Union. The benefits they get we can only deam about. They are in the process of hiring all part time workers to save money but it won't help us save money.

Phew! I'm exhaustd. Now I'll go be quiet. I'm just so tired of getting ripped off by so many companies. It used to be the consumer was always right. Now the consumer is consider a dummy that they try to rip off!

Honored Contributor

Some of us just don't care! If shipping and handling is a major problem for some people, the solution is simple. Don't buy anything. QVC isn't going to fix something that isn't broken. I think the vast majority of shoppers understand that of "free shipping" doesn't exist. The companies that offer free or reduced shipping have FACTORED it into the cost of the product. You're paying it, you just don't know it. Yeah, sure. I suppose QVC and the other shopping channels could add $5 or $6 to all their prices and boast about "free shipping" but there would be no point to it. If know that if I can afford $400 or that handbag or $80 for those boots....I can darn well afford the shippin and handling charges. That's another thing, it's a shipping and HANDLING charge. So, saying that the postage is cheaper than the charge is irrelevant. You are comparing apples and oranges.

Honored Contributor

On 1/10/2014 Lanikins said:

I wish QVC would come up with their own Prime shipping like Amazon. I would GLADLY pay $79 a year for free 2-day shipping.

But that shipping isn't really free. Essentially, you are paying $80.00 up front to have all your items sent to you. For some people that is a good deal. For others, not so much. I don't order that much from Amazon so it doesn't work out well for me.

And if you are spending over $35.00, you would get free s/h anyhow. Not to mention, this only works if you are buying from Amazon, not a third party seller.

Honored Contributor

On 1/10/2014 sixcatsaz said:

I had three jewelry items in my basket at ShopHQ that totaled about $120. Shipping costs were almost $21....basket emptied.

That happened to me a few months ago. I had several items in my cart and was charged individual s/h on EACH item. My s/h too came to right around $22.00 so I ordered nothing. I sent an e-mail to them expressing my concern and basically was told too bad, so sad, they do offer buy more and save on some items.

I don't really have an issue paying the individual s/h costs on an item. What I do have a problem with is paying separate s/h for each item.

Honored Contributor

On 1/10/2014 annabellethecat said:

I agree that it costs a lot to pay QVC's shipping. However, I send my two daughters and grandchildren packages at least once a week. Sometimes the boxes are weird sizes (then it is really expensive). I know I'm in trouble when the post person gets out her ruler! Whoa! Look out!

My problem is that if I want to send my daughter in Denver something, because the UPS (not post office guy) does not have a key to get into her building the UPS packages are always TRIED to be delivered between 1:00PM and 3:00PM. Well, I'm sorry, but she has to work so when they deliver the package she isn't home so it goes back to the UPS store (which is a long way from where she lives). Many times it gets sent back to QVC or HSN.

So......I end up having something for her delivered to me and then I go to the US post office and mail it out to her. You see the US post office has a key to get into her building and can leave it at the door.

That's how I know about the cost of shipping. I have tried to pay extra money with QVC shipping to make sure it went by US Post office. NOPE...didn't work. I've been told by management that QVC and HSN has no way to determine how a product will be shipped. Sometimes a blouse from QVC will come in the US mail and sometimes it comes by UPS/FED EX. No rhyme or reason!

LOL When they break out the ruler, you know it's bad.

When I order from QVC online I have a choice almost all the time of how to ship it. I always choosed UPS. I think if you choose the default it's "best ground delivery" or something. I never take that chance because USPS takes forever to deliver stuff. Recently with weather, cold and wind issues, the post office told us that they were only delivering some mail, not all mail and some of us would get mail some days and some of us would not. So we asked if we could just come to the PO and pick it up and we were told no, it had to be deliveed.

Um, okay and WHATEVER.

As for Post Office self service, we have machines to use at my PO and the scale has a ruler on it so you can measure your box. Only certain sizes of boxes can be shipped using the self service machine.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

I see there is still a wide range of acceptace among us regarding these charges. I'm in the "too high" camp and have been for a while. I wonder how high the shipping costs will go before it puts QVC out of business? Every time they increase their shipping/handling costs I'm sure they lose another percentage of their customer base.

Granted, some of these charges are dictated by the shipper so I can understand that it's not ALL QVC's fault. I used to think it was worth it to pay more at QVC to avoid the hassle of shopping at brick and mortar stores. But costs have reach a point where I found it necessary to venture out and comparison shop.