Esteemed Contributor

Re: Issac calling the model a giraffe - really !!

The models love working with Isaac because he is not temperamental and never nasty or sarcastic; I worked with him many years ago and he hasn't changed. He is generous and kind and Isaac loves animals. It was meant in kind and flattering way in that Linda, I think it was, was graceful elegant and tall. That was said a while ago and the model is still working with him. If that made the OP cancel her order, she didn't want the item. Silly post
Respected Contributor

On 4/17/2015 Crisso said:

I did not see the show the OP speaks of, but I would like to offer some comments and observations about what adjectives people use to describe heights.

I am on the tall side being almost 5'8". My high school years were when I had huge growth spurts and I towered over my classmates, and, I was very thin. I got teased by them and was called many things, including a giraffe. Trust me that being called a giraffe was not meant in a "nice" way. (If one wants to call out someone who is tall because they mean to compliment them, there are better ways to do so.) I was self-conscious because of this, not to mention at social events when the "boys" would rarely ask me out or to dance because I was taller.

I feel that at times there is a double standard:

- using mammal, amphibian, reptile etc descriptive words for tall people is O.K. Doing this to short or petite people is a big no-no;

- being critical of thin people is O.K. Being critical of larger or plus size people is not.........

I feel the same as you do and said something similar in a post earlier in this thread.

Super Contributor

On 4/17/2015 MarthaStewardess said:

I did not see the show the OP speaks of, but I would like to offer some comments and observations about what adjectives people use to describe heights.

I am on the tall side being almost 5'8". My high school years were when I had huge growth spurts and I towered over my classmates, and, I was very thin. I got teased by them and was called many things, including a giraffe. Trust me that being called a giraffe was not meant in a "nice" way. (If one wants to call out someone who is tall because they mean to compliment them, there are better ways to do so.) I was self-conscious because of this, not to mention at social events when the "boys" would rarely ask me out or to dance because I was taller.

- using mammal, amphibian, reptile etc descriptive words for tall people is O.K. Doing this to short or petite people is a big no-no;

- being critical of thin people is O.K. Being critical of larger or plus size people is not.........

I feel the same as you do and said something similar in a post earlier in this thread.

I see that you did. Sorry to repeat. Maybe writing it twice just might sink in for people who think that tall and thin people are fair game...Wink

Super Contributor

On 4/17/2015 KathyPet said: This thread from almost a month ago was tucked into bed and put to.sleep.which is where it belonged. Why is it raising it's head (or maybe I should say it's giraffe neck) again?

It was resurrected in Post # 70...Apparently, SHE likes to stir the pot. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Respected Contributor

On 4/17/2015 MarthaStewardess said:

I see that you did. Sorry to repeat. Maybe writing it twice just might sink in for people who think that tall and thin people are fair game...Wink

LOL, no need to be sorry. I didn't know if you had seen my post since they were similar. I thought I was the only one that felt that way. Glad I'm not!

Honored Contributor

On 3/19/2015 Crisso said:

That explains why his items are so short. He should say he is designing for petites and have it done with. So that I don't get a backlash from petite women here, let me clarify that I think there is a real need for petite fashions and that I support you all the way. I am just frustrated that vendors try to explain why their lengths are appropriate for all - unless you are obscenely tall (and this is anyone over 5'4").

ITA

Isaac DESIGNS for petites. Most of his sweaters and tops are TOO short for someone five 8.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Contributor

I firmly agree with you regarding Isaac and Shawn...they are the most obnoxious, arrogant and laughable duo on QVC...or any shopping channel for that matter!...will NOT watch anything they present...QVC actually needs to watch their programming antics...you can't "dahling" people into buying your over-priced products...SERIOUSLY?

Respected Contributor

OP, The funniest thing about this thread is that you got so incensed that you cancelled your order. OMG, now that's hilarious.

Trusted Contributor

Giraffes are gorgeous.
Respected Contributor

On 4/19/2015 ritasNo1Fan said: Giraffes are gorgeous.

Yes, they're very regal looking and I bet that's what he meant by his comparison.