Esteemed Contributor

Isn't this a "Fashion" forum?

I'm pretty new to the Q's forums, so when I check in to look for topics related to fashion items from the Q or elsewhere, that's what I pretty much expect to find. I've learned that's not necessarily the case. I understand that there are daily followers to the forums, and that's what provides a variety of topics related to each section, e.g., fashion, beauty, etc. What I don't understand are the daily posts that seem to be relegated to the same people who apparently have become the best of friends, and who share with each other their events of their day - every day . What does this have to do with fashion (or any other topics)? I expect some nasty comments from this post, but honestly, if these folks get on a public forum everyday to share the details of their day with each other, then perhaps they should just try messaging or emails. I ignore the posts and I sure do understand I don't have to read them - and I don't. But today - I just decided to say something. I guess if the Q doesn't mind what seems to be private chat sessions then it must be acceptable. I still go back to the fact that a forum on fashion should be just that, and not a daily update with friends about the events of their day.

Honored Contributor

Re: Isn't this a "Fashion" forum?

I totally understand what you're saying.  In this place and time, personalities stand out to others and they feel the connection.  When they want to speak to a person they know, they often go to the forum they stay at most in order to connect with them (wouldn't you if you were looking to connect with a friend you only see at one place?).

There are many, many friends here who have been here for years.  We share everything.  Instead of closing yourself, we would love you to open yourself to the wealth of care, love, and information we have here.!

Honored Contributor

There are poeple who have been posting here for years and years.  They feel comfortable sharing things with their "friends" here.

There's nothing wrong with it. 

Respected Contributor

I'm trying to figure out why any of this bothers you.  As long as the titles are clear, I have no problem skipping over the personal conversations.  I think that's nice that ladies enjoy hooking up here, and every so often they are talking about a subject I'm interested in and so far no one has had any issues if I want to jump in and comment.  I bet if you wanted to know about an item, you could ask that group and might be surprised they know about it.  They shop here too.   

Honored Contributor

@brii wrote:

There are poeple who have been posting here for years and years.  They feel comfortable sharing things with their "friends" here.

The board is divided into different sections for a reason. For example this forum - it is as the OP says - for people who come here interested in reading about fashion.

Can't you friends who want to read things other than fashion also check the community chat forum, where things not related to fashion are posted?  Is it too much trouble for the group of closeknit friends to just "check" there for the non-fashion-related posts?  Instead of starting threads totally unrelated to fashion here for them?    There is a reason the board is divided up into different categories - it's so people can expect to read about that category in that forum.  I find it very annoying when things that are completely off topic are posted - they have wasted my time when I've come here to read about fashions.  

Why not just have the group of longtime friends check the most appropriate forum to see if anything is relevant / of interest for them to read there?  I agree with the thread starter.

Esteemed Contributor

I may be dense, but I haven't really been aware of the issue. Maybe that feeling is more prevalent on the two Shopoholic threads, but I have honestly never opened either of those threads because I'm not willing to admit to my "addiction," yet. And don't want to stop shopping.

I post on several threads and encounter completely different personalities across the boards. This one, Fashion, is my warm and fuzzy place to come when I want to be surrounded by friends who love the same things I love.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@brii wrote:

The board is divided into different sections for a reason. For example this forum - it is as the OP says - for people who come here interested in reading about fashion.

Can't you friends who want to read things other than fashion also check the community chat forum, where things not related to fashion are posted?  Is it too much trouble for the group of closeknit friends to just "check" there for the non-fashion-related posts?  Instead of starting threads totally unrelated to fashion here for them?    There is a reason the board is divided up into different categories - it's so people can expect to read about that category in that forum.  I find it very annoying when things that are completely off topic are posted - they have wasted my time when I've come here to read about fashions.  

Why not just have the group of longtime friends check the most appropriate forum to see if anything is relevant / of interest for them to read there?  I agree with the thread starter.

Easy enough to skip over threads you don't want to read. 

There are groups of people who are friends on many of the different forums here.  What difference does it make where they post.

Honored Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

I may be dense, but I haven't really been aware of the issue. Maybe that feeling is more prevalent on the two Shopoholic threads, but I have honestly never opened either of those threads because I'm not willing to admit to my "addiction," yet. And don't want to stop shopping.

I post on several threads and encounter completely different personalities across the boards. This one, Fashion, is my warm and fuzzy place to come when I want to be surrounded by friends who love the same things I love.

I don't think it's much of an issue either.  I think friends post in the forums in which they became friends.  Community Chat (formerly Viewpoints) isn't really the place to go have a friendly conversation with someone.  You have to be on your toes when you go there.

I have never been to Among Friends, but I guess if this became a real problem (which I still don't think it is), that might be the place to go.

I like the friendly banter mixed in with "serious" Fashion issues.  

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

@MaggieMack wrote:

I don't think it's much of an issue either.  I think friends post in the forums in which they became friends.  Community Chat (formerly Viewpoints) isn't really the place to go have a friendly conversation with someone.  You have to be on your toes when you go there.

I have never been to Among Friends, but I guess if this became a real problem (which I still don't think it is), that might be the place to go.

I like the friendly banter mixed in with "serious" Fashion issues.  

@faeriemoon  Well, someone's health problem is indeed a serious issue.  Not fun fashion banter.

Esteemed Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

@MaggieMack 

Watch your back, Maggie.  Your AMStyle Saturday morning chats might be in violation of the board police.  

(Sorry I couldn't help myself!)