Super Contributor

Isaac's Neoprene dress...WHAT?

How can this fabric be comfortable in a dress?  Isn't it what diving suits are made of?  Is there a new type of neoprene now used for clothing?  Enlighten me, please...

Valued Contributor

Re: Isaac's Neoprene dress...WHAT?

Great minds, etc. I was just thinking the same thing this morning. I used to have a neoprene swim shirt (eventually deteriorated from the chlorine in the pool), which I wore for warmth. It's rubber, isn't it? I've seen the dresses IM did and I can't imagine buying one, much less wearing one.

Weird, but maybe it's me.

Honored Contributor

It's all in the name.  Neoprene, Scuba -- it's a polyester/spandex mix that designers have been using for years.  In fact, the same poly/span (95%/5%, respectively) combination has been used by some George Simonton items for quite a while.  Even Bob Mackie, Seth Aaron and others have used this material, but in some different combinations of the poly/span "cocktail."  GILI and the online retailer, Vince, have also used it a lot.  I guess Isaac Mizrahi wanted to draw new attention to it by calling it neoprene; it's not meant to be tight, but it does give a nice smooth look.  I have one "scuba" skirt and I love it (I never wear tight clothes -- lol).

Honored Contributor

"Scuba" dresses, skirts, etc. are very popular now again.

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

"Scuba" dresses, skirts, etc. are very popular now again.

Yes, a quick "google" showed lots of neoprene items for last summer, from both higher end and lower end sources.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I thought Jane looked very nice in the blue dress.  It was working for her.

Honored Contributor

Ugh.......anybody remember "oil cloth" on your grandma's kitchen table?

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

Thank you all for your replies--it clears up the mystery for me.  And I agree, Jane looked very nice in the dress.  

Respected Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

It's all in the name.  Neoprene, Scuba -- it's a polyester/spandex mix that designers have been using for years.  In fact, the same poly/span (95%/5%, respectively) combination has been used by some George Simonton items for quite a while.  Even Bob Mackie, Seth Aaron and others have used this material, but in some different combinations of the poly/span "cocktail."  GILI and the online retailer, Vince, have also used it a lot.  I guess Isaac Mizrahi wanted to draw new attention to it by calling it neoprene; it's not meant to be tight, but it does give a nice smooth look.  I have one "scuba" skirt and I love it (I never wear tight clothes -- lol).

i have a scuba leather jacket.  i never knew what that meant!

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Ugh.......anybody remember "oil cloth" on your grandma's kitchen table?

Neoprene is nothing like oil cloth.  It's knit and often is used medically to keep heat close to the body.  I have some neoprene gloves that I sometimes wear when my arthritic fingers bother me.  They get very warm; holds in body heat.  I can't imagine wearing it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment