Honored Contributor

Why does he offer this?  More then half his tops are 100% cotton.  They are not pre shrunk.  They shrink up at least 1 size.  I hand washed mine, (not the machine) and laid it flat.  Shrunk.  When cotton gets wet, it shrinks.  Doesn't matter hot or cold, just wet.  Yet he persisits in showing it.  I only purchased one of his cotton tops and it's the last one.  Cotton also stretches and wrinkles.  And the color fades.  I have a few cotton tops from Nordsrom, and they were pre shrunk.  Did not have any trouble with them. The colors faded through. 

Honored Contributor

i dont buy 100% cotton from ANY vendor anymore. whenever i read fabric content i am so disappointed when i see that it is all cotton.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

They shrink up at least 4" in length.  They are perfect until you wash them.

Trusted Contributor

I don't buy Isaac's clothes so I'll just say this: I'm tickled when I find a top that is 100% cotton. I don't like the trend of spandex in clothing, especially tops. When you lift your arms the top goes up too. For me, spandex is for workout clothes.

I have a Quacker Factory top that is all cotton and it did not shrink at all washed in cold water and hung to dry.

Honored Contributor

I love his cotton tops.  I wash in cold on delicate in machine and machine dry on delicate.  I usually size up on 100% cotton.  

Respected Contributor

No IM or LC 100% cotton for me either. Something just does not work if you try to size up. 

But yet 100% PimaCotton from talbots or JJill don't shrink. I don't think it has to have span in it to not shrink just higher quality fabric

Respected Contributor

I also found that they pill, and that is hang drying after a cold gentle wash. Too bad cuz I love the feel of his cotton t shirts with the shirt tail hem. His 24/7 pants shrunk very badly on me too following the label instructions. If you say so, you get a bunch of people who say they're great and that they hang dry them. They're definitely not preshrunk as a better garment would be. Why print the wrong instruction on the label with every new iteration over time?

Valued Contributor

It is more expensive for the fabric to be washed and dried by the mill or dying facility before going to the cutting table. It also must be blocked and steamed to have that pressed look before re-rolling it onto the fabric roll for shipment to the cutters.  

Cotton is tricky because it often shrinks in width and much more in length so just sizing up is not always a good choice. 

If if you have manufacturers whose cotton maintains shape better than others, you might stick with those lines as they have specific requirements for the processing of their cotton fabrics. Same for linen and similar for silk. 

I have quite a few quacker all cotton tops and some Isaac tops that have shrunk minimally but I launder in cold on a hand wash cycle with a low spin and hang to dry. One false move and they would fit the 6 year old.

Respected Contributor

I watched the presentation of the IM cotton tops last night and wondered if they shrank.  I live in the south and 100% cotton is great but the last one I bought years ago from Quacker factory got shorter each wash and wider.  I don't dry in dryer but do not have room to dry tops flat. Also have to be ironed.  They just seem too much work.

Valued Contributor

Re: Isaac and 100% cotton

[ Edited ]

ITA. I will sometimes browse Isaac's tops if I am looking for a particular color or style, and if the one I find is 100% cotton, I stop reading. 

A few years ago, I bought a bunch of really cute 100% pima cotton tops from Kohl's that were very reasonably priced, nice fabric and they looked great on me. By the end of the summer they were crop tops and the colors had faded horribly. BTW, I do not put my tops in the dryer, just hang to dry and wash on cold delicate. A little spandex is unnoticeable, and can prevent the shrinkage, pilling and fading that are a lot of the problems that cotton has.

I do like modal, but apparently that adds a lot of cost to a garment, and is not in many of Isaac's clothes.