Esteemed Contributor

Isaac Mizrahi Live! Button Down Shirt????

I just caught this presentation in progress, A384564

a384564_g11.102.jpeg

But there is no button down!!! Who names these products???  The black plaid looks nice; the white was completely sheer over Mary Beth's other top.  It is an OTO for $38.

Honored Contributor

Re: Isaac Mizrahi Live! Button Down Shirt????

@NYCLatinaMe   It buttons down the front.  That's what they call such a shirt

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

a384564_g11.102.jpeg

But there is no button down!!! Who names these products???  The black plaid looks nice; the white was completely sheer over Mary Beth's other top.  It is an OTO for $38.

Looks like it buttons down the front to me. That is a button down.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe   It buttons down the front.  That's what they call such a shirt

I thought  the meaning of "button down" was common knowledge, but maybe not you.

From Wikipedia "A button-down or button-down shirt is a dress shirt which has a button-down collar – a collar having the ends fastened to the shirt with buttons."

Isaac and people in the garment industry know this.  You can google it.

Difference between button front and button down, illustrated:

maxresdefault.jpg

cc: @froggy 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think the collar is too tiny for a button down

But to be fair they aren't calling it a button down they're re calling it the everything shirt

Respected Contributor

That may be the "technical", and BTW, the old fashioned definition but every catalog I get refers to button down as just buttoned down the front. You rarely see women's shirts with buttoned down collars.

Esteemed Contributor

@froggy wrote:

That may be the "technical", and BTW, the old fashioned definition but every catalog I get refers to button down as just buttoned down the front. You rarely see women's shirts with buttoned down collars.

What catalogs are those?  I have never seen a shirt without a button down colllar referred to as "button down."  I never look at catalogs anymore.

Valued Contributor

I guess QVC offers to a wide group of people so they might understand that using simple description of a shirt that buttons down as a " button down shirt" makes it understandable even to my simple mind.
But no to a see - thru one.

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

a384564_g11.102.jpeg

@NYCLatinaMe , I know what you are saying, because I used to be confused by the description also. A button down shirt used to mean the collar, but no more.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

I'm with you @NYCLatinaMe , a botton down shirt has always refered to the collar not the front of the shirt.  Women used to wear "botton down" shirts alot in the 60's.  They were considered to be preppy.