Trusted Contributor

Re: Is there a particular name or brand of clothing that you gravitate to or always buy?

[ Edited ]

@SportyShorty07 wrote:

@Pink123  Definitely European sizing Smiley Very Happy I learned that the hard way when I bought a YSL leather jacket on The Real Real at a great deal- so beautiful and I can't zip it up and its sitting at my local consignment shop waiting to be bought.  I'm an XS/S top or size 4 pants in most brick and morter American stores, but Europeans are smaaaallll! I have to size up with the European brands.  Have you ever heard of the brand L'Agence jeans? Those jeans run incredibly small- zero room for hips or thighs and I tried on a pair of those and couldn't even get them over my knees- I remember helplessly looking at myself in the fitting room mirror and laughing hysterically! Smiley LOL

@SportyShorty07  The french and Italian sizing is so different!

I was in a Chanel store years back looking at handbags and a saleslady coaxed me to come into the back room where there is champagne, beautiful sitting area.

I said no but she talked me into it.  Now this is French sizing.  In a Chico's I'm a 000 and I think same with qvc.  I wear in italian sizing AG 27 jeans (cotton), 5'8.5", 125 pounds.

Ok, so she says I have a beautiful blazer for you.  I say ok and she brings it out.  She brought out a 4 and a 6.  Well my shoulder's are thin but straight and broad and I hardly got into the jacket.  The 6 was much better. At 9,000 I definitely walked away. lolol.

I know L'Agence and think I'm a size 0 in their jackets.  Have never tried their jeans.  In Veronica Beard I'm usually a 2 or 0 - sometimes in the Miller double breasted blazer a 0 as that miller line runs very big.  I think they are getting bigger too in sizing.

China it is all vanity sizing.  Dion't they think we know this? hahaha!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Is there a particular name or brand of clothing that you gravitate to or always buy?

[ Edited ]

soft surroundings, appleseed's, draper and damon, macy's, bloomingdale's, nordstrom, blair, belks, penneys, talbot.  love it all!  oh and qvc but not so much lately.

Respected Contributor

@Pink123  Wow! You have really nice runway model measurements Smiley Happy.  That must've been fun to go to the fancy Chanel backroom.  That's so interesting that Chanel would size their clothing that way.  Oh yeah, a $9,000 jacket is a ton of money! Does Chanel ever go on sale Smiley Very Happy? I used to work at a boutique that sold Veronica Beard blazers: I tried to put on a Veronic Beard blazer in a size that I tohught could fit my athletic shoulders and it wouldn't fit- I'm petite, but I'm sporty and I blame my years of being a highschool wrestler and boxer for not being able to fit into a lot of European brands Smiley Very Happy.  I do love American vanity sizing- especially when its a simpel 0,2,4 number sizing or small, medium, large etc sizing.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SportyShorty07 wrote:

@Pink123  Wow! You have really nice runway model measurements Smiley Happy.  That must've been fun to go to the fancy Chanel backroom.  That's so interesting that Chanel would size their clothing that way.  Oh yeah, a $9,000 jacket is a ton of money! Does Chanel ever go on sale Smiley Very Happy? I used to work at a boutique that sold Veronica Beard blazers: I tried to put on a Veronic Beard blazer in a size that I tohught could fit my athletic shoulders and it wouldn't fit- I'm petite, but I'm sporty and I blame my years of being a highschool wrestler and boxer for not being able to fit into a lot of European brands Smiley Very Happy.  I do love American vanity sizing- especially when its a simpel 0,2,4 number sizing or small, medium, large etc sizing.  

Hi @SportyShorty07  first off, Chanel, never ever goes on sale. not a dime!

And yes I do have the straight skinny runway skinny body. 

It's all so expensive the Italians and the French.  But I will take Italian sizing anyday over the French.  You talk about broader shoulders which mine  are too but skinny.  Well the French sizing is very tight whereas the italian is away better for all - skinny or wider.   Believe me on this one if you have the $$$.

They would tailor it for me and make it perfect for free.  I thought  about it.   Ended up  purchasing a Veronica Beard double breasted blazer for 800.00 dollars.  Well worth the money ans also made in USA. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Pink123  Wow, Chanel at Saks and Neiman Marcus probably never goes on sale either.  The lovely skinny runway build is something I've always wanted to be, but I'm working with my sporty shorty build and continuing to honor it.  Great pointers on French vs Italian fit standards.  Veronica Beard blazers are so nice and they're so well designesd inside and out with such great attention to detail in seams and structure- I bet that you look fantastic in them!  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

When I worked in a "real" job -

I discovered Chico's when I was picked to go to a conference for the company I worked for.  It would be 10 days for the secretaries - 3 days to set up, 2.5 days to break down.  What in the world do you pack/wear??  I found Chico's in our local mall and bought from their Traveller's line.  Easy to pack, no wrinkle worries, easy to wash and hang if needed.  That was it for me, I was hooked.  I was a Chico's shopper for a long, long time.  Still have several pairs of their pants/crops.  And then their line started to change.  I took it very personalWoman Tongue.

So I moved over to J.Jill.  Love their Wearever line for office.  Also like their Pure Jill line for casual wear.  They have decent sales and if you order thru a store vs. online, shipping is free if you have their credit card.  I'm retired also so shop very little now.  But when I get an email from them, I have to look.

For Q, I was also a Linea fan, still have some of his pieces.  I also look at Attitudes by Renee, but no crazy stuff.  Same with Kim Gravel - I like her summer dresses and some tops.  

Respected Contributor

@RetRN   I loved Jones New York and Liz Claiborne petites.

Esteemed Contributor

Laurie Felt jeans & Side Stitch, never at full price or from the tv.