Trusted Contributor

Re: Is my rayon phobia well founded?

I have learned that rayon comes in varied qualities. It is one of those fabrics that I need to see up close and it has to have a certain feel in hand.

One form of rayon I dislike is crinkle rayon. 

Luckily, maybe due to my living in hot humid FL, I am okay with wrinkling. It is unavoidable in our climate, especially with natural fabrics.

Trusted Contributor

I like rayon and rayon blends.

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

Here I was ready to order the beautiful flower print top from Kim Gravel last Saturday night.  100% rayon, what a downer.  I love her 100% polyester.  Then this morning I found a Hunter McGrady tie dye sweatshirt.  It was French terry, but was rayon instead of cotton blend.  Another no sale.  Am I missing out because of a mis-placed prejudice against rayon?  It just strikes me as a cheap fragile fabric.

@depglass LOL!!!  I have a bigger polyester phobia than a rayon one, but still both qualify.  And model. . . it's on my phobia list as well!  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

"While its texture and versatility make it an ideal choice for a range of apparel, rayon isn't a durable fabric, and standard machine washing can cause it to stretch, shrink, or bleed onto other articles of clothing."

Aug 29, 2020  source:  Google

What are the different types of rayon?

Viscose

Lyocell

Rayon

Modal

I once bought 2 rayon dresses.  Washed both the same.  One shrunk 2 sizes and the other one came out wrinkle free and enjoyed for years.  

Rayon is not Rayon!  Rayon is fabric made from fiber and the quality varies greatly.  

Honored Contributor

absolutely love rayon and will take it over cotton any day!

i find it to be cooling, easy to care for, takes color beautifully, and so comfortable.

bonus if it has some spandex in it also.

i have been buying much more of it over the past few years.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Shanus    Rayon is a natural plant fiber. 

@Kachina624   I stand corrected, but I still don't like it. 

@Shanus    Read my post above about it repelling dog fur.... I know you're a big fan of that.  These Logo twill pants launder flawlessly and don't wrinkle at all. 

@Shanus:  can you provide an item number?  i am all for anything that repels the dog hair 

Honored Contributor

I will never buy 100% rayon again.

I haven't noticed the wrinkling as much as it looks like a rag after one washing & takes forever to dry.  Most of the time, I hang out my laundry to dry.    Everything is dry but the rayon.

I prefer a good quality polyester blend.   A little rayon is ok if it's over 50% poly.

The less cotton the better.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus,  sorry but my previous post was supposed to be directed at @Kachina624 and i've been unable to edit

Honored Contributor

@fancy pantsy wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Shanus    Rayon is a natural plant fiber. 

@Kachina624   I stand corrected, but I still don't like it. 

@Shanus    Read my post above about it repelling dog fur.... I know you're a big fan of that.  These Logo twill pants launder flawlessly and don't wrinkle at all. 

@Shanus:  can you provide an item number?  i am all for anything that repels the dog hair 

@fancy pantsy  The post about LOGO pants was from @Kachina624.

Honored Contributor

I could be thinking of something else but when it first came on the scene didn't it wrinkly horribly? And often labeled 'dry clean only' ?

Neither seem to be the case any more and I really love the hand...