Honored Contributor

Re: Is my rayon phobia well founded?

I have many, many Rails Hunter plaid shirts. They are 100 percent rayon. They have an incredible silky hand. I wash on gentle/cold and hang to dry. No wrinkles at all.

I agree with the poster who said that there are different levels of quality. My shirts are fairly expensive, although Amazon has them at a better price point and their own site.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Rayon was invented as a substitute for silk. The manufacturing process is not very ecofriendly at all. The development of lyocell has made rayon a much better choice in terms of being cleaner for the environment. Lyocell (Tencel tradename) is refined rayon of better quality.

Trusted Contributor

Also worthy of note is that rayon comes in both knit and woven. I avoid the knits, unless they are Logo 230 blend (with spandex). Anything less becomes a limp dish rag after a few wearing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Personally, I like the rayon fabrics around today.   

Like everything else - there's the "quality" issue.  Some is good, some isn't.

I dont mind the extra care required for some fabrics.  Hand washing and ironing isn't an issue for me.  

(I just bought a rayon/poly sweater from today's lunchtime specials.)

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

Personally, I like the rayon fabrics around today.   

Like everything else - there's the "quality" issue.  Some is good, some isn't.

I dont mind the extra care required for some fabrics.  Hand washing and ironing isn't an issue for me.  

(I just bought a rayon/poly sweater from today's lunchtime specials.)

@ALRATIBA 

Can I hire you???

I'd rather scrub the toidy with a toothbrush than iron!

If it wrinkles, it gets returned!  LOL

Honored Contributor

I love the drape of rayon.  I give it a little body by pressing with Magic Sizing.

See the source image

Super Contributor

I love the cotton/rayon ble d utems i have. The rayon mskes them silkier and they glide instead of clinging like all cotton or D&C cotgon spandex does.  I look for the ones with rayon especially.