Honored Contributor

Re: Is keeping up with fashion as important to you as it once was?

@wilma

So very true.  I don't care either how fashionable something is.  If it's not comfortable, if it doesn't flatter you -- forget it.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@ladyroxanne

You know, that's a good point.  Wearing sloppy and loose things might make a person get lax about over eating, etc.  I hadn't thought of that.  

Honored Contributor

@Trix

That's a really good approach.  I used to jump on every new thing that came out.  Not any more!  And sales --- oh, my.  Just because it's a good buy doesn't mean it's a good purchase!  I have been guilty of this in the past!  

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@winamac1

Very cute!  I like these choices.  That's what I mean --- you don't want to put a label and say -- don't wear yoga pants, don't wear stretchy pants, etc.  It's all in how you put things together and the fit.  

Thanks Angel!  ITA!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Esteemed Contributor

Fashion is always important to me to keep up. I work in my husbands law firm and have to dress very nicely. I usually will wear a pants suit or a dress with a cardigan I like classic fashion because for the most part the pieces I buy do not go out of style. And when I go to yoga class that is usually yoga pants and a tank top over a jacket. When  I have date night with my husband [which is usually a movie dinner or a show] I wear a nice pressed pair of jeans and a nice top and blazer over that. I leave the trendy clothing lines to my daughters who are ages 15 and 18 they wear it well because, they are a size zero and two. Great thread O/P.

Honored Contributor

@apple1964

Thank you!  I have truly enjoyed engaging with everyone and sharing how everyone feels on this subject.

I feel at times that I miss being able to wear things like I used to when I was young, but we all have our day and then it's time for the next generation to wear the latest thing, no matter how out there!  

But, we can always look our best and make the best choices for the here and now, right?  

Honored Contributor

I don't think I've ever been "a slave to fashion" .... and make careful distinctions between trends and fads.    

I will buy carefully chosen pieces each year to add to my somewhat classic wardrobe, often finding that accessories can perk things up.    

I do not try to look years younger  ..... I aim for a contemporary look.      It works for me.    

Truth is, IMO, having a good skin care regimen and a well toned body always trumps the "latest" outfit.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I don't think I've ever been "a slave to fashion" .... and make careful distinctions between trends and fads.    

I will buy carefully chosen pieces each year to add to my somewhat classic wardrobe, often finding that accessories can perk things up.    

I do not try to look years younger  ..... I aim for a contemporary look.      It works for me.    

Truth is, IMO, having a good skin care regimen and a well toned body always trumps the "latest" outfit.

Exactly.

I call it the "Very Basics":  

healthy hair, healthy skin, healthy teeth, healthy nails, healthy body

(or, it could be called "The Basic 5", LOL.)

If you have that and try to stay current, you're all set.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44

Yes, those are the best fashion accessories, aren't they -- a well taken care of physique and makeup that is tastefully done.  The rest is just icing on the cake!  

Contemporary -- I agree.