Honored Contributor

Re: Is keeping up with fashion as important to you as it once was?

I love fashion, and all the girls in my family love fashion.  I do wear casual clothes and do  on occasion wear "sweatpant" type pants from LLLemon on the weekends.  (bolt in camo is one pair I have from them).   But,  I don't wear just any kind of sweatpants-usually only Lulu's.  I also wear their yoga pants too and many of their jackets.  

I dress up all week for work with jackets and nice pants so I like being casual but pulled together on the weekends.  I like Sketchers Go Walks too and will wear them.  I never look sloppy even dressing casually.  

I don't try to keep up with others, but I usually do buy items that are current and in style.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

@StylishLady wrote:

I love fashionable i.e. stylish clothes. I'm not one to rush into wearing trendy things, for example, cold shoulder tops. I try to avoid those that become dated quickly. I try to look my best when I go out. Around the house and garden, not so much. Woman Very Happy

Hi Stylish.  I don't like cold shoulder tops either--never have..never will.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is the casual style I like and buy:  I have this in a sapphire blue:

http://shop.lululemon.com/products/clothes-accessories/jackets-and-hoodies-jackets/Daily-Practice-Ja...

Have this in teal:

http://shop.lululemon.com/products/clothes-accessories/view-all-women-tops/Down-For-A-Run-Pullover?c...

Have these in many colors:

http://shop.lululemon.com/products/clothes-accessories/crops-yoga/Jet-Crop-Slim-Luxtreme?cc=19884&sk...

http://shop.lululemon.com/products/clothes-accessories/athletic-pants/Bolt-Sweatpant?cc=020890

and these in blue camo!

One can look cute and comfy!!

These are examples of ways to be comfortable but also look up to date and pulled together in a casual way.

Respected Contributor

I am retired but fashion and how I look is important to me.  I don't spend a ton of money on clothing but I like to add pieces each season to update my wardrobe.  I do like to be comfortable but not sloppy.  I wear makeup every day and I don't wear sweat pants, sneakers or yoga pants.  At home I am usually in leggings with a tunic or jeans and a sweater or shirt.  I love skirts, tights, cute flats or boots.  You can still look fashionable without spending a lot of time shopping.  Just look in your closet.

Honored Contributor

I may not like what the latest fashion trend is, but that doesn't mean I don't have my own personal style. I am 50+ and I enjoy seeing the new fashions, but at my age I am not jumping onto every trend that comes down the runway.  Most of the new trends each season I wore when I was younger anyway.  After all, there are only so many silhouettes to work with in clothing.

It is still important to me to look nice and put together whether that be going to work, church, running errands, eating out with friends, etc.  I don't wear anything that doesn't flatter me or that isn't comfortable anymore. IMO Comfort does not have to mean wearing sloppy sweats or pjs in public.  I don't care what any fashion expert or anyone else says.  I prefer tailored classic pieces that never go out of style.  

Respected Contributor

@Junebug54

i do own workout clothes.  i walk the treadmill everyday and go to the gym.  i just don't wear sweatpants, etc. around the house.  why?  because i would end up being too comfortable and then eating too much.  i'm very careful with what i eat and found i ate more wearing them.

Esteemed Contributor

Loking nice and being fashionable is important to me.  I will never be able to totally let go of that mindset.  However, being retired and living a much more casual lifestyle, I have relaxed what I feel is accceptable.  I no longer feel the need to be ahead of the trends and urges to buy new clothes at whim.  These days my fashion shopping is limited to about four major shopping excursions.  I will buy some new things at the beginning of spring and fall; and I hit the deep discount racks at the high end stores and boutiques in August and January. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@ladyroxanne wrote:

@Junebug54

i do own workout clothes.  i walk the treadmill everyday and go to the gym.  i just don't wear sweatpants, etc. around the house.  why?  because i would end up being too comfortable and then eating too much.  i'm very careful with what i eat and found i ate more wearing them.

This is true, especially if one wears only full-elastic waist bottoms.

So I just made sure to mostly wear ones that also have a drawstring, and can easily tell when I'm gaining too much weight.

A range of 5 lbs. up or down every month is normal, BTW.

Honored Contributor

@winamac1

Very cute!  I like these choices.  That's what I mean --- you don't want to put a label and say -- don't wear yoga pants, don't wear stretchy pants, etc.  It's all in how you put things together and the fit.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@KentuckyWoman

Yes, I agree about looking in your closet.  I have been very bad about this and am trying to utilize my items and mix and match more.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin