Honored Contributor

Re: Is keeping up with fashion as important to you as it once was?

@151949 wrote:

OK - i don't understand why sweats are being treated like they are some kind of evil being. If it is cold out, and you are staying home all day , or maybe just running to the grocery store, where you will have your coat over your clothes anyway, what is so evil about wearing a nice toasty warm pair of sweats? 

And yes, I have seen those people who wear dirty, raggedey old sweats that are too tight and too short and all worn out -- but that isn't the fault of the sweats. I own sweats that are clean, in perfect condition and fit me well, and I'm not ashamed to wear them, esp. at camp when it is cold.

Many, many people wear sweats around the house and for runnig errands.  There is nothing wrong with it.  It is quite common and looks better than those skin tight leggings that expose everything..

I have no shame when it comes to wearing sweats.  They are warm and comfy and some that I own are quite expensive and are well made.

A lot of ladies on the forums say they dress up everyday, etc.  When I watch the QVC live audiance, I don't see many of these dressed up ladies...  they look pretty casual to me.  I would wear somethng nicer if I knew I might be on TV, but not to hang out around the house.

I

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Carmie

I don't "dress up" everyday but when I leave the house for errands, etc I dress neatly.  When I am at home cleaning house or working in yard I do not dress up - I usually have on jeans and a t-shirt.  The rest of time I usually have on pants and a nice sweater or jacket.

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@Carmie

I don't "dress up" everyday but when I leave the house for errands, etc I dress neatly.  When I am at home cleaning house or working in yard I do not dress up - I usually have on jeans and a t-shirt.  The rest of time I usually have on pants and a nice sweater or jacket.

This^^^^^^

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

Regarding sweats: I don't own a pair. They make me look HUGE. I own a few hooded sweatshirts but wear them only when going to and from the gym or when walking/running. Yoga pants are for when I engage in yoga. At home it's capri workout bottoms with sneakers if cleaning else leggins with boots, jeans with boots and a cashmere sweater/tunic, scarf, etc.

I grew up where you dressed fashionably no matter what and wore specific attire for specfic events (tennis clothing on the tennis courts; riding boots with breeches when riding; etc). Jeans were not a part of mu wardrobe until late highschool; NEVER saw my mom or Aunties in jeans...ever!

You can be comfortable and fashionable without be frumpy/sloppy. Again, your style shows through in your choices; whatever those choices may be.

Contributor

Since I retired a month ago, I'm more interested in having a comfortable, classic look based on items that are black, beige, grey, white and dark blue denim, with jewelry and scarves/shawls providing the pops of color. I wear jeggings, skinny pants and boot cut pants with tunics, often paired with a duster. I am no longer interested in following fashion trends.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I want to thank everyone for your great replies!  It's been so enjoyable reading them all.  I hope I have not missed anyone; if I have -- thank you!!!  Loved reading every single one!!! 

Heart

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal wrote:

The rule I go by is this: In case I set in an emergency ward all day, or have to run to the library or store, or just go out in public for any reason. I try and look my best for my age, & my life as it is now. That's what I have.

Edited to add: in my mind, I'm Boho and a flower child.

Same here, LOL, plus I'm also eccentric.  ;-)

Esteemed Contributor

I still try to be stylish and professional in the workplace, but I put more of an emphasis on comfort.  I feel like I've turned into my mother when it comes to shoe shopping.  I can recall sitting for an hour at a time waiting for her to try on shoes.  I'd be like, "Buy those!  They look great!" and she'd be like, "No, not these...they aren't very comfortable."  I used to kid her about that, but now I truly know what she meant.  Back in the day, I'd buy uncomfortable shoes if they were trendy and stylish, but not anymore.  Fortunately, shoe designers have come a long way and we can have choices that are both comfy and stylish.

Honored Contributor

@wildcat fan

How true.  Back in the day, I was all about how cute a shoe was and I didn't give a darn if they hurt!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Carmie

I think so, too!  I think there are the raggedy sweat pants that you might just wear when you are doing a really nasty dirty job but they should be used for that purpose only. 

I, myself, have some really cute -- what I call sweat pants -- but maybe they are really jogging style pants and/or outfits.  I, of course, don't jog!!  HA -- I wish!  But I might put them on for a jaunt to the grocery store or whatever.  And I sure don't think that I look like a slob either.  It's all in the condition of the garments, how you put them together and the fit.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin