Honored Contributor

Re: Is keeping up with fashion as important to you as it once was?

@Iwantcoffee

And that, dear friends, is really it in a nutshell!!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@vermint

Yes, I like how you described that -- sometimes you feel like you are working in a fashion show and you feel compelled to keep up.  That's how at times I made myself feel.  I had to keep up or go one further.   I no longer feel that way and it's such a relief.  

Your sense of style sounds just wonderful and its classic and never goes out.  

Honored Contributor

@gardensla

I agree.  I believe if you buy a piece of 2 here or there.  Something that really speaks to you, it will really keep you current and make you happy and not become burdensome in the process!!!!  

Honored Contributor

@peachesncream

Smart way to approach!  I love reading fashion magazines.  I think without even realizing it that by doing so, I have inadvertently planted many ideas in my head of what I may or may not want to look for.  So, when I do go shopping I am on the alert for certain items.  Then, when I see one, I decide --- hmm, will this really work for me --- for my body --- my age --- life style, etc.  

Contributor

Like many of you I still love clothes but I am more comfortable in my own skin and less concerned with trends and what people think. I wear jeans, and at work skirts or nice cords (which fit like jeans, hence why I like them - I hate "trousers"). I love boots and shoes but good brands that are comfortable (dansko, alegria, sometimes born).

Do they even sell "sweat pants" anymore? I never see them. I have running/workout gear but it's for running or working out only!

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo

Absolutely.  This is very sound advice.  Dress for the body, not go for the latest trend.  I see so many young women who do not heed this advice, also.  I just want to take them aside and say --- you are so lovely ---you are doing yourself a disservice by wearing those short tops and yoga pants.  But - ah, well. Live and learn.  

Honored Contributor

@Chrystaltree2

I agree with what you're saying about watching, looking and finding things you can use and adapt to your own personal style.  I have always done that.  I love to go to the mall and see what other women are wearing.  Sometimes I see things I definitely think --- oh, yeah -- I love that.  And other things --- oh, no.  No way!  

Honored Contributor

I want to thank everyone for your great replies!  It's been so enjoyable reading them all.  I hope I have not missed anyone; if I have -- thank you!!!  Loved reading every single one!!! 

Honored Contributor

OK - i don't understand why sweats are being treated like they are some kind of evil being. If it is cold out, and you are staying home all day , or maybe just running to the grocery store, where you will have your coat over your clothes anyway, what is so evil about wearing a nice toasty warm pair of sweats? 

And yes, I have seen those people who wear dirty, raggedey old sweats that are too tight and too short and all worn out -- but that isn't the fault of the sweats. I own sweats that are clean, in perfect condition and fit me well, and I'm not ashamed to wear them, esp. at camp when it is cold.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The rule I go by is this: In case I set in an emergency ward all day, or have to run to the library or store, or just go out in public for any reason. I try and look my best for my age, & my life as it is now. That's what I have.

Edited to add: in my mind, I'm Boho and a flower child.