Honored Contributor

Re: Is keeping up with fashion as important to you as it once was?

@Junebug54 wrote:

For those of you that never wear sweatshirts, yoga pants or sneakers.... what do you wear when you workout, go for a walk,  relax etc???

Good question.  I have never worn sweat pants, yoga pants, workout pants.  I once had bright yellow sweat shirt but that was 20 years ago and I did yard work in it.  I had sneakers back in my power walking days.  That ended a few years ago and that's when I lost trace of my sneakers.  I don't work out, I have an exersize bike at home and I wear thick socks when I use it.  I have casual shoes for running around town or going to the farmers market; ballet flats, my Clark's mules, suede lace up shoes.  I like comfort but I like to look nice.  I'm not an athlete, I don't pretend to be one.

Esteemed Contributor

I try to look nice with a pretty top and well fitting skinny jeans every day. I generally change my shoes to be mules or clogs or flats. I also like to wear nice outerwear too.

I think a lot of young people are maybe trying to impress their social media friends by posting instagram photos of themselves showcasing their clothes and shoes. That much obsession I'm not into at all.

Honored Contributor

@151949

Oh, boy -- did you ever say a mouthful there!  I totally agree with all that you said!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@tototwo

I see nothing wrong with that -- at all!  You are comfortable and happy and that is what matters!!!  

Honored Contributor

@curlywhitedog

You have it under control -- I envy you.  As it took mey many long years to figure myself out --- fashionwise!!!  

Honored Contributor

@feline groovy

Thank you for your sweet and kind reply!  I love what you had to say and how wonderful your sense of style sounds.

You are correct in some of your observations of me but not in all.  I do still enjoy being current, but not to the extent I was.  Those who have known me, know that I have always been a clothes horse and people at work have always referred to me as a fashionista.  Which -- what does this mean exactly?  

I do loving adding my own special touches to things.  But I just don't feel the need any longer to run and buy every new thing that comes out.  I think maybe I have relaxed my attitude on fashion and am just learning at 63 what I really like to wear -- not what I think I should be wearing.  

Yes, I agree with you though, totally.  Just because you are more mature doesn't mean you should become stodgy and frumpy.  And I don't think that will ever describe my style.  

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam

Style -- absolutely!!!  That's a great answer.  Thanks you.  How very, very spot on!!!!  

Honored Contributor

@Carmie

I agree with you about spending way too much on clothing over the years.  Wow -- boy -if I had only figured out some of my fashion foibles long ago -- what $$$ I would have saved!!!!  

Honored Contributor

@Snicks1

Yes, for sure.  You can relax your thinking about fashion and still look nice and be comfortable.  It doesn't mean you no longer care or give up.  I have given up obsessing about it -- which, now that I think about it - I sort of did obsess about it.  Maybe not to the highest degree but I did put too much emphasize on it.  It takes some of us longer for the quarter to fall in the slot --- LOL --- you can tell I am old!  

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday

Super!!  I must learn to take lessons from you.  I don't utilize what I have that well.  That's always been a big problem of mine.  I get something -- tend to wear it one way and then forget about it.  I am trying to, as I originally posted, take what I have and re-think it!!!!