Super Contributor

Re: Is keeping up with fashion as important to you as it once was?

@Carmie wrote:

Being fashionable and trendy has never been important to me.  I have always been a classic dresser.

When going through old pictures, no one ever laughs at my hair or clothing because I avoided the crazy trends that many people wore.

i recently retired from my office job and realized that I have spent way too much money on clothing over the years.  I wish I hadn't.

@Carmie  I don't think you should regret it, although I feel the same way.  I don't think I would have felt comfortable with less clothes.

Honored Contributor

No. My mother was a model during the 50's and two of my aunts worked in the world of the theatre (costume designers) and the taught all of us that STYLE is more important than FASHION.

Wear what works for YOU and you will always be in STYLE. Huge difference.

Respected Contributor

I'm 55; my mom and my aunt's were fashionable, lovely, fashionists their entire lives.  And they were in their 80's when they passed.  Those QVC and HSN boxes never stopped....lol   I can't really relate to op, I do work and most of my staff; most of the women in the office are younger than I am.  I never competed with any woman I ever worked, not fashion-wise.  I love to look fashionable and when I was younger being "in style" was important to me.  Still is  But now I have a my own personal sense of style and that guides me  more that wearing "what's instyle".  I love looking at how the younger women, the fashionistas, dress and style themselves.  I get ideas from them and then I put a similar look together that works for me.  I love shopping (online) and I'm not giving it up until they put me 6 feet under...lol

Honored Contributor

I enjoy getting new clothes but I could care less about labels! My closet holds the entire retail spectrum from economy to first class. If I like a trend AND it flatters me then I'll partake but it's never really about the trend...

I'm a vertically challenged (5'2") hourglass whose doctor assures her her BMI is perfect.. having said that there are trends, plenty these days, that look awful on me!

The one size (style etc.) fits all doesn't exist no matter what the well meaning designers and pseudo designers may tell us. We should all dress for our own bodies.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have always loved fashion but moreso the fashion of my chosen subculture than couture. Sometimes couture happens to be in love with my subculture and sometimes it's not. All that means is that I have more shopping choices that season.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I worked in a management position that required business-like clothing - suits or dresses with jackets and heels everyday.  Since I have retired I have changed the bottoms to pants or jeans but I pretty much dress the same otherwise.  I usually wear structured jackets with pants and I have given up the heels except for dressy occasions.  I wear loafers, ballet flats or boots most days.  I always aim to look neat and well groomed.  Tennis shoes only to walk the dog and I don't own sweat pants.   

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like to read about fashion and look at the latest styles.

But I'm slow in incorporating current fashion into my wardrobe. I buy mostly classic pieces - with a twist (something unique in details) and/or in pretty colors.

I've updated my slacks and jeans to be slimmer and more fitted. It's been gradual and I still don't choose the more extreme styles, whether skinnies or flares. That's pretty much what I do - go slowly and make sure what I choose is flattering to me and suits my taste. 

I leave the newest fashionista styles to my granddaughter - who  wears them well! 

Trusted Contributor

For those of you that never wear sweatshirts, yoga pants or sneakers.... what do you wear when you workout, go for a walk,  relax etc???

Honored Contributor

I don't really think of fashion in the way OP asks. I just look for things I like... I don't try to follow fads or trends. I may or may not like and wear something trendy. Most of the time my clothing is classic in style.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

No. My mother was a model during the 50's and two of my aunts worked in the world of the theatre (costume designers) and the taught all of us that STYLE is more important than FASHION.

Wear what works for YOU and you will always be in STYLE. Huge difference.

And confidence.

Always  attractive if it's not overt.