Respected Contributor

Re: Is keeping up with fashion as important to you as it once was?

When getting dressed it is important to me to be appropriate for the occasion and have on clothing that works for my body. I have never really been interested in wearing the latest styles.

Honored Contributor

I think it's important to look as nice as you can.  Obviously, that means different things to different people. 

Honored Contributor

I feel that todays fashions make it impossible to be both trendy and age appropriate at 66 yr old. I would look ridiculous in those sausage skin tight clothes kids today wear. I dress appropriate for my body and my age.I don't expect teens to dress like I do and I doubt they would think I should dress as they do.

Sometimes, esp. at the beach or pool I will see senior ladies in a bikini with their sagging skin and wrinkled body or men in a speedo with their belly hanging over it and I just SMH. Just being thin does not mean one isn't aging, and that is why age appropriate clothing is needed.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

No, and it never really was that much.  I followed trends more when I was in my 20's (back in the 70's).  In all my working days, I purchased traditional, classic styles that looked good year after year.  I stuck with classic cuts and colors -- mainly suits or jackets and slim skirts.   I'd buy trendy colored scarves and jewelry to update my looks.

Much to the horror of some of you, now that I'm retired, I live in sweats, jeans, and sneakers.  Woman Happy

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I tend towards more classic styles with a few trendier pieces here and there.  I've never been one to buy a closet full of trendy clothes that will be out of style within 6 months to a year.  That to me is a waste of money.

I also don't spend a lot of money on trendy pieces so when the few pieces I do buy are out of style, I don't feel bad about the money spent. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Actually, neither fashion nor the current style of clothing was really ever that important to me.  I like looking well put together and up to date and to that end I refresh my wardrobe throughout the year but I do it with clothing that looks good, fits well and is comfortable to wear. 
You can keep the leggings, jeggings, wide belts, high boots, tights and hi-low hems, they're just not a good match with my body shape. 
Don't want to be scaring the public when I leave the house...lol
Maria

Honored Contributor

I've worked for one company and been in various offices.  Most of the offices were very casual or even had uniforms.  Following fashion trends hasn't been a top priority for me.  

Respected Contributor

I love fashionable i.e. stylish clothes. I'm not one to rush into wearing trendy things, for example, cold shoulder tops. I try to avoid those that become dated quickly. I try to look my best when I go out. Around the house and garden, not so much. Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

"Is keeping up with fashion as important to you as it once was?"

Yes; but not quite as much.

As a creative person, I've always been interested in fashion and other visual arts.

Plus, I like to be up-to-date and relevant.

To learn and grow, evolve and change, while still remaining true to myself.

But I remain faithful to my always-comfortable individual style, while incorporating some of the newer or current 'twists' - if they're flattering to me.

I'm 52, BTW.

My everyday style is super casual, and yep, I sometimes wear comfy cotton knit yoga pants, drawstring waist pants, and sneakers - not necessarily together.

I also love blue denim, cargo bottoms, graphic tees, and full-zip hoodies, LOL.

AngelPuppy, you seem to be limiting yourself and selling yourself somewhat short, as:

* your chronological age does not have to reflect your inner essence

* you probably haven't even tried some of the current fashions or accessories

* adding trends and twists to classic style is an easy way to update

yourself, just like with hair styles (crucial) and hair color (often crucial), and eyeglasses (crucial) and other accessories

* it's not about "competing" with anyone else

* others' opinions of you don't matter AT ALL

* a youthful heart and soul - plus a positive attitude - is forever young 

Go on, girl, and give it a shot!  

You can do this on any kind of budget, and I bet you'll have fun and pleasantly surprise yourself. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Keeping up with fashion was never important to me. I dressed in whatever I felt comfortable in.