Honored Contributor

Is keeping up with fashion as important to you as it once was?

I work in an office and though it is still a little more conservative than maybe some places, we still have to have some degree of professionalism.  Although there are some who do press the boundaries!!!

Lately though I have been looking around and thinking.  Most of the people working with me are much younger.  I started realizing that -- you know what -- I no longer care as much as I used to about having all the latest styles, etc.  I mean, granted, I am 63 and a lot of the newer styles would look ridiculous on me.  But that point aside, I see a lot of the younger women, and they are all about the latestest this, that and the other thing and they make sure everyone notices.  

I like to look nice -- don't get me wrong.  And I do take pride in my appearance.  But I just realized that -- for one thing, I can no longer compete with the young things and there is no use trying.  It is, what it is!!!  And for another, I no longer want to devote so much time, energy and money to pursuing all of that.  

I enjoy shopping, I enjoy getting a new bit of clothing now and again.  But, really, I am just thinking --- I've reached my max and I just want to look nice and be comfortable and basically enjoy wearing what I have.

Does anyone else feel this way?  Don't mean to sound like I am giving up, because I am not.   I guess I am finally figuring out that I don't need to be constantly pursuing something new to feel good about how I look.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: Is keeping up with fashion as important to you as it once was?

Although I dress casually, I enjoy being current and fashionable.  It will always be important to me.

I don't do sweatshirts, yoga pants, sneakers, etc.

Trusted Contributor

I now am recently retired as a college professor.  I always tried to look nice, pulled together, and age appropriate.  However, once I gave up heels-- a long time ago--i decided that a few new pieces of clothing a year were all I wanted or needed.  Fashion trends were much less important than being comfortable and classroom appropriate.

Respected Contributor

i love fashion, always have and probably always will.  i follow trends and dress fashionably and still find that i'm confortable.

no sweatshirts, sweatpants or sneakers for me either !

Esteemed Contributor

I love fashion and follow it pretty closely. Each season I buy a few pieces that reflect the current trends but like you as I've gotten older I'm less likely to revamp my wardrobe each year (which I once did). For one thing, it's too expensive and I have other priorities and the other is that I've settled into a uniform of sorts that I really like.

Classics such as really good quality black pencil skirts, black slim pants, skinny jeans, black cardigans, gold jewelry, good pearls, high heeled slingback, pumps, boots, trench coats...you get the idea. And then I add something trendy such as a faux leather jacket or something in lace. Makes me feel "current" but still "Me." 

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Super Contributor

@AngelPuppy1  Yes, it is all about what looks appropriate and attractive on you. And a lot of my work clothes did not translate well to my stay at home life after I stopped working.  Thankfully we had been transitioning to business casual Fridays or work from home one day a week so I wasn't buying a lot for work.  I kept a couple of blazers and sweaters but had to get a lot of more casual clothes.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I love pretty clothes, but "the latest fashion" hasn't been a big deal for me since high school. I wear what I like and what I think looks good on me.I'm 60, but I've always dressed in fairly "classic" styles...with sometimes a bit of a twist. I'm the office manager in my DH's architectural firm (very small, only 4 of us), and for work I always wear black or brown pants and some sort of pretty top--some are prints, some are solid. I love to layer in colder weather. I have several cardigans with asymetrical hems that I wear over tanks & tees (but only ONE tank or tee at a time, lol!). That's about as "fashionable" as I get.

I have worked for very large companies where it was often a "fashion show", even among the older ladies...and I'm very glad to be out of that environment.

Honored Contributor

Being fashionable and trendy has never been important to me.  I have always been a classic dresser.

When going through old pictures, no one ever laughs at my hair or clothing because I avoided the crazy trends that many people wore.

i recently retired from my office job and realized that I have spent way too much money on clothing over the years.  I wish I hadn't.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1, Yes, you nailed it! That is exactly how I feel also. I am 65, retired 3 years ago from a management position where I needed to be up to date in my styling, although it was a business casual office. Since I have retired I am glad to be just casual, thank you. I don't wear sweatpants/yoga pants, but I do wear blue jeans, they are acceptable almost everywhere these days and have been for years and years. When I have posted on other threads in the past about dressing very casually, some people seems to imply that that meant no longer using skin care/makeup, styling of hair etc., which left me thinking...seriously? Who does that? lol So yes I do feel the same way you do. Thank you for posting this much more clearly than I guess I did in those prior posts I mentioned. Smiley Happy

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have pencil skirts from c. 2008-2010 plus I have added midi length this past year.  I have a few tunic length blouses for leggings which I love for casual attire.  

I wear blazers and suits from 2-10 years ago.  

I wear 2-piece dresses (skirt/top combinations) as I have a different top/bottom problem.  I add inexpensive jewelry each season.  

I add a new color jacket or blouse to my repetoire.  I add scarves and shoes.  I always add a new woven crisp white shirt and if possible find a new pongee or shantung top in white or ivory.

I  wear pants from 2008-2009 as well as 2015, as long as they are well kept, dry cleaned and look new when cleaned.  I have some straight legs, some flare legs, some stove pipe legs, boot cuts, etc.  Just wear the appropriate top, the appropriate shoes, boots and jewelry.  

Many people think I acquire a new wardrobe each year but that is far from the truth.  Doing around with accessories and shoes can give an old outfit a whole new look.

I dragged out  a black velvet duster from 2003 this year that had been in a dry cleaning bag for years, wore it to the theater and all the ladies in my group thought it was new.  Ha ha.  Wanted to know where I had found it.

As far mini skirts and these garbs with skirts added to tights, not no, but H-3-7-7- No.

P.S.  I love my boho skirts with long fisherman sweaters and wide belts at the low waist line, but I also have a couple St John suits for church and club luncheons.  Learn to live with what you love and freshen it up but don't go too far overboard.