Honored Contributor

Re: Is it something atrocious to be an 'older woman' ?

Oh, yes, the M word.

The kiss of death on the Fashion Board.

hahaha

Respected Contributor

I'm 67, and I usually refer to myself as being "older," which is probably a nicer way to put it, I guess.  After all, I am older than the majority of the people on this planet, right?  When we're young we think getting older is awful and we say those changes will never happen to us.  But they do anyway.  Now that I'm "there," I find that being "older" is not all that bad!  I still feel great and have my health and fitness, and best of all, there's a comfort in having "been there and done that."  Most things that would have upset me in my youth just roll off my back now!Cat Very Happy

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

I don't see much "older woman" bashing.  I see a lot of this looks matronly or old lady-ish.   

I see more weight bashing - either too skinny or too heavy.  

Exactly.  The word matronly is used all the time to describe an item of clothing.  Perhaps posters mean it looks old ladyish when they say that but  personally don't think of an old lady when I think of something being matronly.

I know I've referred to something as being old ladyish because it specifically reminds me of something an elderly relative wore or used when I was little.  Like a certain fragrance smells old ladyish to me if I remember it being worn by a relative when I was little.   

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11, well, well, well my dear, I am over 65, and have silver gray hair, I don't really brag about it, but I like it!  I wear it in a fashionable hairstyle, a Bob, I don't have that many wrinkles, try to wear stylish clothing, but suitable for my age and body type, and I do wear elastic waist pants, because they are comfortable and also wear comfortable stylish shoes, at this age, comfort is the key, IMO!  I don't really put down the "younger" generation, but do feel that they are clueless  and could care less for others, and it's all about "me"!  I grew up in the 60's & 70's when the best music ever was made, real tie-dye, bell bottom pants, mini-skirts, long hair and free spirits!  I loved it and would not change it for the world!Heart

Trusted Contributor

@software wrote:

Hollywood & pop culture in general do us older woman an injustice by stereotyping us.    Look at Tyler Perry's character "Madea".   She makes me laugh but I don't know any old women who dresses like her.   Maybe in 1940.

I've seen the older women coming out of the black churches on Sunday.   They are very fashionable, no matter the age or body type.

I embrace my "old lady".    I think it's rude, particularly coming from other women, who think an insult has to include age-shaming.   Really ladies, you want to go there?   

@okaywitheasypay wrote:

Exactly what is an older woman?

(IMO most feel it is about 10 years older than your own age Smiley Happy )  Of course if we are lucky we all reach glad to be alive.

I am curious as to others comments and posted in 'fashion' as I so often see " this is what an old woman would wear." I have observed the good ,bad, and ugly in all ages fashion wise. Of course after the age of ceasing to play with Barbie dolls we know what a person looks like is not necessarily what they are.

@software Excuse me?  Madea is my hero(ine).  I absolutely love Madea.  Bet you no one would tell her what she ought to wear, how she ought to speak, who she should defer to.  Think she'd care what any poster thought of her style, or lack thereof? She's got more common sense and a whole lot more faith than anyone   real I know.  

Remember when noteworthy women declared they were going to wear purple when they got old?  

Graced with this year I thought I wouldn't have, a return to relative health I just knew could never happen, I plan to become my own version of Madea and wear purple (High Church Easter magenta/plum is my favorite color!)

Honored Contributor

@Hooty wrote:

@Trinity11, well, well, well my dear, I am over 65, and have silver gray hair, I don't really brag about it, but I like it!  I wear it in a fashionable hairstyle, a Bob, I don't have that many wrinkles, try to wear stylish clothing, but suitable for my age and body type, and I do wear elastic waist pants, because they are comfortable and also wear comfortable stylish shoes, at this age, comfort is the key, IMO!  I don't really put down the "younger" generation, but do feel that they are clueless  and could care less for others, and it's all about "me"!  I grew up in the 60's & 70's when the best music ever was made, real tie-dye, bell bottom pants, mini-skirts, long hair and free spirits!  I loved it and would not change it for the world!Heart

But you don't put them down. 

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Hooty wrote:

But you don't put them down. 

Bazinga!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Amen!!

@CoG wrote:

@software wrote:

Hollywood & pop culture in general do us older woman an injustice by stereotyping us.    Look at Tyler Perry's character "Madea".   She makes me laugh but I don't know any old women who dresses like her.   Maybe in 1940.

I've seen the older women coming out of the black churches on Sunday.   They are very fashionable, no matter the age or body type.

I embrace my "old lady".    I think it's rude, particularly coming from other women, who think an insult has to include age-shaming.   Really ladies, you want to go there?   

@okaywitheasypay wrote:

Exactly what is an older woman?

(IMO most feel it is about 10 years older than your own age Smiley Happy )  Of course if we are lucky we all reach glad to be alive.

I am curious as to others comments and posted in 'fashion' as I so often see " this is what an old woman would wear." I have observed the good ,bad, and ugly in all ages fashion wise. Of course after the age of ceasing to play with Barbie dolls we know what a person looks like is not necessarily what they are.

@software Excuse me?  Madea is my hero(ine).  I absolutely love Madea.  Bet you no one would tell her what she ought to wear, how she ought to speak, who she should defer to.  Think she'd care what any poster thought of her style, or lack thereof? She's got more common sense and a whole lot more faith than anyone   real I know.  

Remember when noteworthy women declared they were going to wear purple when they got old?  

Graced with this year I thought I wouldn't have, a return to relative health I just knew could never happen, I plan to become my own version of Madea and wear purple (High Church Easter magenta/plum is my favorite color!)

Respected Contributor

I'm not afraid to say my age to anyone if they ask. We all get older, just part of life. Never understood why so many women are reluctent to. I feel I look my age too. Dress appropriate, casual style and don't try to look younger than I am. Who wants to deal with all the rest of the stuff. Not me.

Honored Contributor

@Hooty wrote:

@HootyI grew up in the same era but don't remember it with rose colored glasses. I think a lot of the younger generation are hard working and great kids. I am blessed to be the mom of two of them...both in successful careers. They have friends that are go-getters and gainfully employed. They worked hard in school and received scholarships. Many of the younger generation didn't have everything handed to them. They couldn't drop out and become hippies like so many of my own generation did at the time. So much for them being clueless as you put..I respectfully disagree.