Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is it something atrocious to be an 'older woman' ?

If a person stays upbeat, smiles, keeps their sense of humor, and doesn't dwell on aging and illness, they will never be old, no matter what their age.

Honored Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

If a person stays upbeat, smiles, keeps their sense of humor, and doesn't dwell on aging and illness, they will never be old, no matter what their age.

That's a lovely thought, but if someone lives long enough they will indeed be old.

HOW they age is another matter.

Respected Contributor

Yes, that sense of humor will get you (and the people around you) through anything!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

To me the concept of  "older woman" or "old woman" is what your mind's eye sees. If you think it's old and "atrocious" then it's old and atrocious to YOU and may not be to someone else. Just depends on who is looking at who.

Esteemed Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@colliegirls wrote:

That's a lovely thought, but if someone lives long enough they will indeed be old.

I am talking about their spirit, not their chronological age.

I worked with an 83 year old woman volunteer who seemed so ageless, all because of her wonderful attitude and demeanor.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

If our culture wasn't obsessed with youth then there wouldn't be the issue.

I don't think our whole culture is obsessed with youth - just those who for what ever reason just can't accept that every day , every one of us grows a day older.

personally , I have no desire to be young , go back to having to work every day or change anything in my life.I am greatly enjoying my retirement, and living among my peers.

Honored Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@colliegirls wrote:

I am talking about their spirit, not their chronological age.

I worked with an 83 year old woman volunteer who seemed so ageless, all because of her wonderful attitude and demeanor.

O.K., I totally get that.  I know women in their 40's who are "old" and I know women in their 60's who are "young" (spiritwise)

I thought the thread was about actual age.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I don't think our whole culture is obsessed with youth - just those who for what ever reason just can't accept that every day , every one of us grows a day older.

personally , I have no desire to be young , go back to having to work every day or change anything in my life.I am greatly enjoying my retirement, and living among my peers.

Okay, then, MOST of our culture.

Pick up any magazine.  Peruse any social media.

Our culture is obsessed with youth.

The question on this thread wouldn't even have come up if it wasn't.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Okay, then, MOST of our culture.

Pick up any magazine.  Peruse any social media.

Our culture is obsessed with youth.

The question on this thread wouldn't even have come up if it wasn't.

well, thank goodness everything in our culture is not all about what is on social media.

Honored Contributor

"Why do people on this board think they have a right to dictate to others how to dress and do their MU or wear their hair ? Who gave them that power over others?"

Who gave them the power? The power anyone has over another is the power they are *allowed* to have. If you don't GIVE others power, especially about superficialities, they don't HAVE power. I should think that would be a given, and most people would know that.

A better question might be, why do some people on these forums assume It's All About Them All the Time and take *every* difference of opinion as an armed challenge, no matter what or where it is?

Life without Mexican food is no life at all