Honored Contributor

I think it's okay to wear whatever you want as long as you personally are comfortable with it.  

I love to people watch wherever I go.  If I see someone that I think looks nice, no matter the age or body type, I think ---- awesome ---- could I wear that or could I duplicate that look?  I think we can learn something from everyone.  Whether its what would look good on us or not so good.  

Some people have a lot of body confidence and others don't.  I, personally, have never had much at all.  I am hyper-critical of myself.  Always pointing out every little flaw on my on appearance.  

The older I get the more I think -- well, if I want to wear this and I feel good about it --- then I'm wearing it! But I still do try and not bring attention to areas of my body that I feel are not great looking.  But that's just me!  

My mother used to tell me that her family members, she was German, would be much more free about their bodies and not so hung up on what we would consider body flaws, etc.  She said if they wanted to wear a bikini, they wore a bikini!  If they had skin that was slack on their tummies or more "junk in their trunks" as the saying goes, so be it --- so what?  Be happy and be proud of who you are!  Enjoy life! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is it okay yet?

[ Edited ]

I was thinking that when I was a kid all my grandmas and great aunts had an “old lady” uniform.  It was expected that they had “old” body flaws.  That acceptance seems lost.  Or who knows, maybe they were actually dismayed.

i still have a visual of grandma cleaning her oven in stockings and heels.  A little butt wiggle in pink gingham.

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

I was thinking that when I was a kid all my grandmas and great aunts had an “old lady” uniform.  It was expected that they had “old” body flaws.  That acceptance seems lost.  Or who knows, maybe they were actually dismayed.

i still have a visual of grandma cleaning her oven in stockings and heels.  A little butt wiggle in pink gingham.

I don't think it was acceptance - just reality and since it was expected - they knew nothing else!  I have always looked exactly like my mother  grandmother and I sure wouldn't want to be doomed to looking like them as I age.  My grandmother looked old at 50 (from pictures).  She had a hard life and back then they didn't have a real life for themselves.  They did what was expected and maybe were even content but if they could have improved their appearance most probably would have.  Their lot in life was to have kids and take care of the cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc.  There were very few options.  That was not a better existence.   I like having my own life and options to look my best every day.

Regular Contributor

@Pook wrote:

@Still Raining wrote:

I don't think it was acceptance - just reality and since it was expected - they knew nothing else!  I have always looked exactly like my mother  grandmother and I sure wouldn't want to be doomed to looking like them as I age.  My grandmother looked old at 50 (from pictures).  She had a hard life and back then they didn't have a real life for themselves.  They did what was expected and maybe were even content but if they could have improved their appearance most probably would have.  Their lot in life was to have kids and take care of the cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc.  There were very few options.  That was not a better existence.   I like having my own life and options to look my best every day.

Wow...broad generalizations here.  Feel the need to stand up for my Grandmother who with her eighth grade education became the head of the Trust Dept of a major bank, went to work on a bus downtown every day in fabulous suits,heels, make up,walked home from the bus stop with a bag groceries.  She supported and looked after, in succession, a dying father, a stroke survivor husband and a mother with Dimentia. And she still made time to host a little granddaughter on the weekends who benefitted greatly from seeing the many things a woman can do and be.  She had an amazingly worthwhile life.

Her daughter, my Mom, had a better education, and an amazingly loving and supportive husband who made it possible for her to do what she really wanted...which was to have a big family.  So together they raised eight children to be worthwhile human beings, then traveled the world together over the course of the rest of their 68 year marriage.  She is now 89, living on her own, spending time with friends and has her choice of kids to hang out with when she has the time.  Like my grandmother, she is much more interested in the present than the past.

My two role models...I want to be them when I grow up...

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I was a few years younger, more than a couple pounds lighter, and did not have children I was very superficial about my own appearance. In the last three years after having my daughter, moving to a new location which now makes my work commute at least an hour one way (starting my day @ 4am), I’m just becoming slightly more comfortable in my own skin.  I still dress the way that I know I can look my best. But If I don’t remember every piece of jewelry I was going to wear, or even want to put in all the effort for all the accessories or feel like I don’t want to wear highs heels daily as I used to, people can just deal with it.  There are the days that I go to the grocery store without a full face of make up. Three years ago you never would’ve seen me without it. And my outfits were perfect.  I never went shopping and leggings or sweatpants, or even yoga pants. But guess what, you just might catch me these days in public wearing one of those things. Nothing will be hanging out or look obscene, but some days I just don’t feel like washing my hair and putting on a full face of make up with a perfect outfit and I just want to go get my daily errands completed. I’m too tired, I’m getting older, and I really just want spend time with my family and not worry about what everybody else thinks.  I also do not want my daughter to see or think that I am so superficial that I would spend all that time on me and worried about how I look rather than spending the time with her. I also don’t want her to be so self-conscious as she grows up.

None of this means that I look inappropriate but maybe I just don’t have the same priorities I used to.

Honored Contributor

When we define people by who they are and not by age, race, gender, religion, nationality and income, then yes.  But since that will never happen, no.

I only see divides getting farther apart and the sad thing is so many calling for justice seem to think that simply means let's beat up on others instead of us.   We'll call the shots not "them."

We will always see flaws, or what we perceive as flaws and mistakes, but when we can accept the person for what kind of human they are, then that will be progress.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

When we define people by who they are and not by age, race, gender, religion, nationality and income, then yes.  But since that will never happen, no.

I only see divides getting farther apart and the sad thing is so many calling for justice seem to think that simply means let's beat up on others instead of us.   We'll call the shots not "them."

We will always see flaws, or what we perceive as flaws and mistakes, but when we can accept the person for what kind of human they are, then that will be progress.

@Sooner, if your comment is about beauty and fashion, I could not agree more.

If it's more general, then I'm not so sure that need I to accept a person who I believe has flaws and has made mistakes. It just depends upon the flaws and mistakes and also whether the person has truly and fundamentally changed.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

Being overweight almost my entire life,  I'm glad society is a little more accepting of larger people and I'm grateful that women have a much better selection of clothing options, none of which I had growing up.  But I still think, while they might not express it openly,  most people are repulsed by the sight of grossly overweight-or extremely thin--people who flaunt all they have.  I would never wear the attire Whitney Thor does because the last thing I want is attention to all my obvious flaws,  so spandex and sleeveless is not 99% of my entire wardrobe.  But in a way I do admire her ability to show her body off--and she is much larger than I am--as I've always been self-conscious.

IMO, while the younger generation is more accepting of the diversity in peoples'  looks,  I still think most of us on this board--NOT ALL--grew up with a certain standard of how we should present ourselves.  I'm really glad the June Cleaver standard is gone, but I still don't want to see people out in public showing off body parts that should be kept private, regardless of their size.

While I may have an unattractive figure,  I have a relatively healthy body which I will always dress in what I find attractive to my body.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@IShopQ  Wow!  What a change in the topic I was responding to!!  I don't know why you feel the need to respond to my post that was responding to a post about a completely different topic.  The post I responded to was referring to most likely my generations' grandmothers who for the most part were housewives and very few if any worked outside the home other than taking in laundry, and who over time graduated to an "old lady" uniform who seemed to accept aging.  That is a completely different scenerio than you describe and an apple/orange comparison! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Jtdmum  What a lovely comment. Thank you.

Money screams; wealth whispers.