Regular Contributor

I've been looking at some of the styles and patterns for a maxi dress or mid calf length dress. And wondering if I'm the only one that really doesn't like the patterns they have. Most seem abstract and just plain gawdy like to me. The flower prints are quite big as well. I'm 5'3" and I think it would over whelm me, I'd look like a garden walking about! I'm glad for some styles in petite anyway. Although I love the colors, it's just the prints that haven't made me want to buy any. The gauze dress by Denim and Co. is nice but read the reviews and some say it's thin material and you'd have to wear a slip. That defeats the purpose in the summer to me.

Respected Contributor

Well, like anything else, it's a matter of taste & what you're comfortable with. Some of the prints I've seen (& not just on QVC) are not at all to my liking, but I tend to dress plain & use accessories to liven up the outfit.

Aren't there any dresses in solid colors that you like? I saw a few on HSN over the weekend that were solids. Good luck with your search!

Honored Contributor

I think of something my mother used to say about some prints.

She called them ""cat throw-up prints"".

And I know one when I see one.

Respected Contributor

If you're in the market for these type of dresses, find them in solids at TJ Maxx or Marshalls In fact Ross had a bunch for a song. I'm sure they're just as well-made and you can pick something less gaudy.

Respected Contributor
On 3/25/2014 KittyLouWhoToo said:

I think of something my mother used to say about some prints.

She called them ""cat throw-up prints"".

And I know one when I see one.

Meeeee-OW (ouch)

Frequent Contributor

Check HSN. Liz Lange has more subdued prints (I bought a really cute striped one) & solids & I LOVE the Nikki Poulos maxis that I've purchashed. I'm the same height as you, OP.