Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is it difficult to shop for pants?

Length is the only fit issue for me with pants.  At 5'5" I am not petit height, but most regular length dress pants are 32 to 33 inches long and anything over 31" is a Swiffer on me even with heels (which I can no longer wear daily).  I usually have my dress pants hemmed. I have the same problem with jeans, but won't spend money of professional hemming.  I only wear skinny or straight leg jeans, and feel comfortable wearing them  with the hems rolled or cuffed.  When I wear boots, the jeans are tucked into the boots. 

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

Just because you don't have this sizing issue, doesn't mean that no one else does. 

@QVCkitty1

I never implied that!

I posed the question to see where others stand on this; problem or not...

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

Just because you don't have this sizing issue, doesn't mean that no one else does. 

@QVCkitty1

I never implied that!

I posed the question to see where others stand on this; problem or not...

Sorry if I misunderstood.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

It's hard for me, pants and jeans are my biggest challenge.  I'm curvy and I use curvy in the way it was intended.  It doesn't mean plus size, it means that I have an hour glass figure.  I'd have that figure if I was a size 00 or a size 14.  If I buy to fit my waist, they won't go over my hips.  If I buy to fit my hips, the waist is much to big.  On top of that, I have full thighs.  Yes, indeed stretch fabrics help but I still have to have my pants taken in at the waist.  And I simply cannot wear some styles at all.  I'm not complaining, I like having what hubby calls a pin up girl figure  I just have to think carefully, use a tape measure and be honest with myself when I buy pants and jeans. 

Honored Contributor

Yes.  I posted in another thread that I have a terrible time with pants.

I am a pear shape. By the time I get pants to fit my hips, butt and thighs, they are too big in my waist.  Almost every pair of dress pants that I own need to be taken in at the waist.  I also have this problem with many jeans.  I get the dreaded gapping waist. 

Respected Contributor

Isaac's pants and Chico's pants fit me the best.   I don't even need them altered.   

I'm curvy - I have a small waist and I'm tall.   I don't like when pants gap at the waist.   It depends where they hit me - I like to have them sit right below my belly button

Honored Contributor

Pants and jeans require me to set aside time to just look for them specifically.  I now know what brands work for me and what general style works for me, so if I need black pants for work, I will head to the mall and find all the black pants I can in each store, go into the dressing room, take out my dress shoes from my bag and try them all on.

I have to get everything hemmed, so it doesn't matter the length.  It's just the fit.

Generally I need boot cut or wider (no ankle pants for me), the lower the rise the better, no side slit pockets, no pleats.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Yes, all my life. I'm 5' and petites are 5' 4" and under, so teven petite pants are often cut for someone taller than I am and are still too long for me. Even if I find some that work, I can take three pairs of identically marked pants inside a dressing room and find that they won't all fit the same way. One will be longer, one will be tighter, etc..

I'm also an apple shape, so getting pants that fit my waist means they may be too baggy in other places.

And while spandex makes it easier in some ways, it can be hard to find the right blend. Some spandex blends get really stretchy, so they may fit in the morning or out of the wash, but are too loose by the end of the day. If I don't wear a belt with some pants, I'll look like those kids with the pants falling down. And some women's pants don't come with belt loops at all, so that's another factor I have to consider when I buy pants.

I hate, HATE buying pants and always have.

Respected Contributor

@Andreatoo

I'm with you. I shop for pants quite easily in the store, online -- I rarely have a problem.  But I understand those who are pants-challenged because that is how I am with tops.  I'm on the busty side and a size larger on top than on the bottom. And because I don't like things that are too baggy, buying a nice fitting top or jacket is an art for me.

Esteemed Contributor

I am short with ample rear size 10.  So, yeah pants are often a problem for me in terms of length and rise.  I will not, under any circumstances, wear low rise pants.  Some that are called "mid rise" won't work either.  At the waist and an inseam of at least 28-29 is a must for me.  

*Call Tyrone*