Honored Contributor

Re: Is it customary to give a gift at a retirement party?

When I retired we were also moving to florida. I didn't really have a retirement party but the girls at work surprised me with one. I got a silver pendant that is a flamingo and has a pink sapphire body. I also got a set of TT seashell dishes, and a pair of coral earrings. In addition a few gift cards for kirklands and Home depot , for the new house.
Honored Contributor

On 2/16/2015 mercyMe said:

Apparently it is!

I showed up empty handed at a restaurant for the retirement party (the retiree's husband invited us and said "no gifts" .... and we had to pay our own bill). Everyone except me brought a gift. Awkward!!!! Therefore, I had a bouquet of flowers delivered to her house on her official "last day." Lesson learned.

This is so wrong. You were absolutely in the right not to bring a gift since the invite specifically stated that.

To show up with a gift after it is stated not to bring one is as rude as showing up without one when you know you should bring one. This is a pet peeve of mine. {#emotions_dlg.sneaky}

Super Contributor

I've only attended retirement dinners / luncheons for people I worked with. It was the practice at a couple of places I worked for everyone to chip in for one gift, and the senior exec picked up the dinner/luncheon tab. Company policies were that work anniversaries and retirement events were company-paid.

When I retired, I got a luncheon, gift certificate for my favorite place to shop and prepaid Visa card for "extras."

ETA: I just remembered that we had a small get together for a friend who retired ... we bought her a small gift and one of the guys picked up the tab.

Valued Contributor

Thanks for the ideas. I think, since this person does like to imbibe. A great bottle of bourbon is in order.

{#emotions_dlg.devil2}

Honored Contributor

On 2/16/2015 pommom said:
On 2/16/2015 missy1 said:

Get a gift for retiring? That is a gift, in itself. A card, maybe a bottle of wine if they drink.

Retirement is, indeed, a gift in itself; however, some of the gifts I received have a lot of sentimental value because a few of my co-workers devoted a lot of time to personalizing them.

Op didn't say it was a co-workers's.

Honored Contributor

If the function is at the person's workplace, a card is appropriate.

If the function is at someone's home or organized privately (separate from work), a card is enough. Some people give gifts but not everyone does.

Honored Contributor

On 2/16/2015 mercyMe said:

Apparently it is!

I showed up empty handed at a restaurant for the retirement party (the retiree's husband invited us and said "no gifts" .... and we had to pay our own bill). Everyone except me brought a gift. Awkward!!!! Therefore, I had a bouquet of flowers delivered to her house on her official "last day." Lesson learned.

You were right, and the people who brought the gifts were wrong. Saying "no gifts" means do not bring a gift.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

I did neglect to say, it is an old friend, not a co-worker.

Thanks again for all of your comments and suggestions.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Honored Contributor

At the parties I've attended, usually at a bar or restaurant, all in attendance chipped-in to pay the bill. That, and of course attendance at the party, is gift enough. In some cases, the company gave a gift.

Super Contributor

Why else would they go to the expense of a party if they didn't want gifts??