Trusted Contributor

I recently noticed some items with "Linen Blend" in the title, which turn out to be only 7-15% linen. Most items called linen blend are about half or more linen. Now, I personally love linen, but that's not the point.  

Is it misleading to call it linen blend, even if technically true? Or is it calling attention to a feature that might otherwise be overlooked? Does 7% linen make the fabric better in some way, or just allow it to be labeled linen blend without fibbing? 

I might have too much time on my hands.

Honored Contributor
I think the linen may give the fabric some texture and a bit of body to the other flimsy fibers
Honored Contributor

All fibers contribute to feel and breatheability.  All fibers must be listed by law which protects those with allergies as well as making all of aware of what we're purchasing.

Just 5% spandex in denim makes quite a difference.

Honored Contributor

If it's got any linen content, it's a linen blend.  Tomorrow's Denim & Co. Linen blend pants, you'll be happy to know, have a 40+% linen content.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

No, I don't think it's misleading. Having linen in a fabric usually contributes to the texture or hand of it, and linen blends are frequently used in garments that have a certain cut/look/"feel." It gives me more of an idea of what the garment might be like. I don't think there's anything "underhanded" about it at all.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for all your comments. I agree with all. Given the times, maybe I've become overly sensitive to "spin." I also really appreciate the way Q provides very complete details, and do not accuse them of fibbing. 

And yet.

Spandex may add valuable quality to fabrics, but I don't see garments with a small % of spandex labeled "spandex blend." Similarly, a very nice fabric that's 7% linen isn't linen or even really "linen blend," and calling it that feels a bit sneaky. Maybe "linen-like" or "cotton/rayon blend with linen." It's a slippery slope...

Honored Contributor
QVC does the same thing with sweaters that just have a small percentage of cashmere in them.