Trusted Contributor

Is Ultrasuede still in style?

Just asking.  I inherited a wardrobe when my mom died last year.  I really don't like most of her clothes, although she was a fashionista.  My dad really wants me to take her Ultrasuede jackets and suits.  Not sure if I like them.

I'd like your opinioins.  TIA.Heart

If you can dream it you can do it--Walt Disney
Valued Contributor

Re: Is Ultrasuede still in style?

[ Edited ]

@kutira: I, too, have a couple Ultrasuede suits that originally belonged to my friend's mom. Then they became my mom's. She wore them for several years. Currently they're just hanging in my closet until I can find someone to do the alterations IF I even decide to do that. They really are beautiful suits; but like you, I'm not sure how dated they would look. It will be interesting to see what the posters write. (Look at the trends in fabrics: polyester - all cotton - now manmade fibers are back in; even if it's "out" surely in the future it will be back in!)

Trusted Contributor

Evine just had some faux suede dresses that were rrather cute. I think the question is more like: Are the garments you are being given still in style?

Since there is a 70s vibe in the stores right now, the answer could be yes. But it's hard to say without seeing garments.

Honored Contributor

Yeah I think this fabric is making a comeback because I've seen some really cute styles in a particular store I shop at.  They were sleeveless dresses for this spring, really cute style, almost bought one.  ANd yes, I also saw the one(s) on evine and thought the same thing - cute and must be coming back.

Years ago this fabric was called moleskin.  Haven't seen it around for years, always liked it.

Esteemed Contributor

Ultrasuede is actually refers to a specific type of faux suede. The term is sometimes misused to describe any garment made of a faux suede fabric.  Having said that science has helped many textile makers come up with some type of faux suede that is soft and pliable with characteristics of having a nap which mimics real suede (that color changing effect when you brush your hand over the fabric).  Ultrasuede used to be the only fabric that really did that.  

Back to the original post, if you don't really like the items perhaps you can convince dad that it would be better to donate the clothes. I'm thinking of the type of organization which gives clothes to women, who are getting a fresh start in life, and are in desperate need of nice clothing.  I know every family has their own view about how to handle the possessions of a departed loved one, but when my mother passed away we donated her rather extensive wardrobe (along with shoes and handbags) to such an organization.  

Esteemed Contributor

The fabric is in style, the garments you inherited might be very dated.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Respected Contributor

Dress for Success won't accept clothing styles that are outdated. imagine sending a young woman to an interview wearing an oversized blazer with shoulder pads and pleated cuffed pants

Honored Contributor

I seriously doubt they're in style for that number of years.  If you like them, are you prepared to spend about $80-$100 each to have them retailored?

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for all the replies; most of the clothings has been donated.

The one thing I don't want to give away is a full length mink coat, but don't know what to do with it!

If you can dream it you can do it--Walt Disney
Respected Contributor

@kutira

When I had to take care of someone's clothes after they passed, I spent some time at a well known furrier's to come up with how to makeover a full length mink that no longer fit my changed lifestyle.

I suggest you see what amazing things that can be done with this type coat: sheared to be lighter; colored to be trendy; converted to vests or collars; lap blankets; teddy bears; scarves; retailored to a better style; etc.  There will be a cost involved but you may gain something useful with a good memory attached.

Although I ended up selling the coat,  Good Luck with yours !!!!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill