Honored Contributor

Re: Is This A New Fashion Thing?

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

Around here I see women wearing leggings under shorts. I think their leggings are the compression type worn for exercising. 

@SilleeMee   Yes, I've seen that, too...in the gym, but to me only appropriate for exercising, not "street wear" and definitely not on a middle aged woman...IMHO.

Esteemed Contributor

I've been wearing shorts since March. No one in Arizona would wear them with tights cuz you would roast. 

Respected Contributor

When I was a child back East, we used to wear wool shorts with knee socks (and usually penny loafers) in fall.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Around here I see women wearing leggings under shorts. I think their leggings are the compression type worn for exercising. 

@SilleeMee 

that was my first thought; she needs to wear compression socks/hosiery.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mombo1 wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

First, I was never, nor will I ever be on a fashion magazine cover.  I always tried to look nice and wear what flattered me.

Yesterday while out I saw a middle age woman wearing khaki colored shorts, shorter than bermuda length, with dark green tights.  It was not shorts weather, very cool, cloudy and raining. My thought was if it is warm enough for shorts it is too hot for tights. Cool enough for tights, too cool for shorts.  It looked odd.

Is this a new thing?

@CrazyKittyLvr2    I sure hope not.  👀

Maybe it's a relic of the 1980's  aerobics craze or Pilates  ? Back in the day when I first engaged in the aerobics , some would wear tights and very short shorts over  the tights them and the exercise leotard because they were modest . I just embraced  the  tights and leotard look . Olivia Newton John had  an aerobics  video . I remember the classes I attended  played that Wham song  " Wake Me Up Before You Go -Go  "  with George Michael alot.

Honored Contributor

I remember back in the day wearing knee length "dress" shorts to work with tights, a blazer and ballet flats.  This had to be in the early 90's.

Respected Contributor

for me it was around '94 and i wore wool black/red houndstooth cuffed shorts and black tights with red suede Enzo flats. and a black turtleneck and brushed gold hoops.  i wore with a black Bennetton boyfriend style cardigan.

some '90s styles are back...

Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily 

Yes - that look was popular here (NYC) in the late 50s  / early 60s. 

See the source image  

Black watch plaid Bermuda shorts (with the buckle in the back), knee socks and penny loafers.

------------------------

@Desert Lily wrote:

When I was a child back East, we used to wear wool shorts with knee socks (and usually penny loafers) in fall.

Esteemed Contributor

@skatting44 I remember that look too and the classes with the Wham song. 

I have a skirt that I can pull over my bike shorts after I am thru with spin class but that's so if I have to run an errand afterward, I don't feel self-concious about wearing lycra!

Respected Contributor

@ALRATIBA  late 60's to 1970-ish where I lived. It was a casual school girl type of look I guess.